Replanting after disease

opheliathornvt zone 5June 14, 2013

I grow a lot of lilies - mostly orientals and asiatics. Last year my Casa Blancas looked diseased and this year they either aren't coming up at all, or are small and mottled. I have to dig them up and throw away the bulbs, but want to replant in the same place next year. I was planning to add several inches of compost and topsoil to the area before replanting, but I wonder whether I'll just have the same problem next year if I do. Do I need to plant something different there instead?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
interspecific(5)

You can replant in the same spot. You must make sure you remove ALL of the bulb and roots of your deseased bulb(s). Virus is a plant only issue. Soils do not carry virus.

Something to think about is why and how your plants got deseased in the first place and then try to remedy that. When you add your new compost and soil make sure it has good drainage properties and avoid compost which may contain animal manure unless it is VERY, VERY well composted. Do not over fertilize, which can damage and weaken the bulbs, making them susceptable to deseases.

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 8:37AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
opheliathornvt zone 5

Thanks so much for the reply. I'm not really sure why the lilies became diseased. Possibly it's because our soil is wet and lilies aren't supposed to grow well with wet soil, but I haven't had that problem in other garden areas that are wetter. Perhaps because Casa Blanca is an oriental rather than an asiatic. I'm pretty sure it isn't over fertilization, but I appreciate the input.

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 5:46PM
More Discussions
hostaholic2 z 4, MN
Replanting Lilies
Hello. I am new to this. ;) I need to replant my lilies...
raimisx9
Best/Favorite Co. to get Lily Bulbs?
I would like to add some tall fragrant oriental, chinese...
aunt_lou
Red Lily Leaf Beetle Sited
11:15 am in Malden, Ma ( just outside Boston) Came...
MichaelB_MAz6
lily virus
Hello all - Here is a picture taken this summer of...
jebfarm
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™