Vanilla Bean Vine does anyone know about it?

yasminshi(10 Fl)June 28, 2007

My motrher-in-law baught a Vanilla bean Vine at an Orchid show back in May. When we bought it, the salesman told us to just plant one end in soil and lean it up against a tree. It has not grown or done anything since we got it. Though there are little roots before the soil, but they were there when we bought it. I'm not sure what we are doing wrong, Or if anyone can help us.

I have pictures but i dont know how to send them.

Can anyone help me?

YasminShi

YasminShi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimster(z7a MA)

The plant is Vanilla planifolia, which is an orchid, not a bean. It is native to rainforest areas of Mexico, which will give you an idea of its cultural requirements. It is tropical, not subtropical, so growing it outdoors successfully will depend on where in Florida you live.

It is an epiphyte, meaning it grows on trees, not in soil. I suggest you tie it in close contact to a tree with fishing line. Don't bother with soil. Spray it with water daily unless there is rain. Don't worry if you miss watering sometimes. Spray it occasionally with a soluble plant food diluted to half strength. Eventually, it should start to grow and send out roots which will cling tightly to the tree. During the cool part of winter, if it gets cool, don't water. If there is a cold spell, cover it with a blanket. It may not bloom for a couple of years or more while getting established. The vanilla "beans" are the seed pods which follow the flowers.

Jim

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 6:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

To Jimsters info, I will add that natural pollination of the vanilla orchid is very poor... most of the "beans" grown commercially are the result of hand-pollination.

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 7:14PM
More Discussions
if you don't like getting emails every time someone replies...
Click on "Your Houzz", Edit Profile, Advanced...
fusion_power
Canning crowder peas VS Freezing, my take on the subject
Last year I decided to can some of my Hercules crowder...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Jeminez
I just received some Jeminez seeds from Sand Hill....
shuffles_gw
Purple king beans
Hi I've grown runner beans before and found they do...
chloe456
What does "as soon as soil can be worked" really mean?
I know it might be a dumb question to ask because the...
beesneeds
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™