Measuring Light

lucky123May 3, 2014

I know, I should buy a meter but
Meanwhile I want to get a rough idea of what light intensity I have in an area. I tried the shadow on white paper. That works somewhat.

However, I placed a table lamp next to the plants. I turned on a 60 watt incandescent and it doen't increase the light/brightness in that area.

I put a 100 watt incandescent light in the same lamp and it does increase light/brightness.

For African violets, can I translate that test into some meaningful measure? Enough? Not enough?

I can use the plants as light meters. If they sunburn, too much light. If they get leggy, too little but that seems a very inefficient and slow way to go about it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zhuminous

You could use the light meter in a camera to get a relative lumens comparison. Would be a cheap & effective way to do it, if you throw the camera on a tripod and check the f-stop or shutter speed with different lights

Keep in mind that measuring light brightness by eye or camera is a lumens measurement which does not directly translate to photosynthetic efficiency. For true horticultural evaluation you would need at least a PAR meter.

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 3:06PM
More Discussions
Dwarf Papaya growing and blooming under grow lights
Here are a couple pics of dwarf papaya plants that...
arctictropical
When to replace lights?
Hi, I have a 3-shelf cart with plant lights. I mostly...
frances_in_nj
WHERE is your light set up?
I was wondering where you all have your light set up?...
SunshineZone7
Need help Drip watering Basil inside
So i have a little closet grow room setup with lights,...
Riskebiz
Correcting Lighting Later?
Hello, I am germinating Palmer amaranth for an experiment...
Tigger033
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™