Transplanting potted Asiatic lilies

charlotte304(5)June 24, 2009

I have an Asiatic lily that belonged to my mother. She passed away 3 years ago. I dug up the bulb and transplanted it into a very large pot. It has grown and bloomed each year. It has many buds and is ready to bloom again. It really has outgrown the pot and needs to be put into the ground. When should I transplant it for best results? This is the only one I have of my mother's and I don't want to lose it. It is huge! Any suggestions on how to divide and remove smaller bulbs properly also? I would appreciate any help. Thanks so much. I am on the border of zones 5/6.

Charlotte

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alina_1

Charlotte,

The best time to transplant them would be fall. Wait till the foliage will go brown and dry. The bed should have excellent drainage. You can divide the clump and plant bulbs at different places. In case that anything will go wrong at one of the locations, you will have a back up. I usually plant smaller bulbs with the large ones. Just remember that the depth of planting should be 2-3 times more than the bulb's diameter.

Do not worry, Asiatics are tough! You can find more information here.

Bookmark   June 24, 2009 at 3:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charlotte304(5)

Thanks so much, Alina. Sounds great. I will do exactly that. I just wasn't sure if I should transplant now or wait till fall, so you've answered all my questions. We lost the original tag for the lily, and I've been trying to find out the name of it from the greenhouse where we got it. The lady there has one in her yard and her tag is missing also. I will try to post a picture later and see if anyone can help me identify it.
Thanks again!
Charlotte

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 11:29AM
More Discussions
Storing my newly purchased lily bulbs
I just purchased many lily bulbs, mostly oriental....
grammabarb
strange baby foliage
Rosidah
Help my Peace Lily? I think it might be dead....
It looks like this. Pretty unpromising. I think I watered...
cactussalad
Pardalinum...looking for seeds
You didn't leave a way to email you re the martagon...
mxracer264
Wisconsin Illinois Lily Society news
Our winter Lecture Series is beginning this weekend! On...
linnea56
Sponsored Products
Trellis Deluxe Garden Tools Tote
$49.99 | zulily
Farmers Garden Kit
$14.99 | zulily
Gardman 5-Tier Mini Greenhouse - R700
$47.14 | Hayneedle
Blue Three-Piece Gardening Tool Set
$8.99 | zulily
Brook and Hunter Hand Tool Trowel with Chain - 14010-T
$49.95 | Hayneedle