URGENT, is it too late to plant lilies in zone 5?

aliska12000(Z5)June 3, 2006

I know it is preferred to plant them in the fall, but I can't wait because I need them for erosion control on a hillside bordering some steps I just got poured. We will be filling it back in on the sides with some soil mix and I read lilies are really good for hills.

Also, I have some odds and ends I can plant mixed in with them, anything to get something going ASAP besides grass (don't want that) so the fill soil won't wash down to the sidewalk which it will if it rains, then I'll have to scrape and shovel it back up as best I can. We will tamp it down as best as possible and also would it be a good idea as a temporary measure to put some bricks and stones at intervals until some plants get establised?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
outinthegardenallday(Zone 7, LI,NY)

I've never heard of lilies being good for erosion control. However I have heard of daylilies being good for erosion control. And, yes, they can go into the ground now.

Ciao,
OITGAD

Bookmark   June 4, 2006 at 1:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mamoo_z5(z5IN)

It is fine to plant your lilies now. Put some mulch around them to slow down the rain & that should help some unless you get heavy rain. I can't picture your slope but if you think it needs some bricks use them. Daylilies once they grew would help at the bottom of a slope. It all depend how low your slope is.

Bookmark   June 5, 2006 at 1:10AM
More Discussions
Foxtail lily; companions?
Hello! I want to plant foxtail lilies. I know they...
mushibu10
Storing my newly purchased lily bulbs
I just purchased many lily bulbs, mostly oriental....
grammabarb
Is there any hope??
I have lilies that grow wild on the side of my house....
Twin Cities Trade
id for pink crinum
I am looking for the botanical name for the pink crinum...
linda_leaf z10fla
strange baby foliage
Rosidah
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™