Mulch?

westy1941(Boulder County, CO)September 30, 2009

I know the rhizomes need their tops exposed slightly when planted; however, they are now in a mixed bed of hosta and a few other plants which I would like to mulch shallowly (an inch) or put compost on. Is it okay to cover them with mulch for winter and then remove it in the spring or must they be free of anything all winter (except snow!)...

Thanks in advance,

Westy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chere(7)

If you cover your iris with mulch for winter they will rot.

Bookmark   September 30, 2009 at 5:14PM
westy1941(Boulder County, CO)

So only snow should be on them then? I want to put down some home-made compost in my beds but I guess you're saying I should sweep it off the iris rhizomes or just keep it away from that area entirely? Is compost as bad as mulch for iris? I have the rhizomes in clusters so that they can sort of be 'off by themselves'. I don't ever want to go through another borer infestation like I did this summer!

Westy

Bookmark   September 30, 2009 at 7:49PM
carlos42180(Z5 Chicago)

Do not mulch OVER the rhizomes. I've had great success mulching AROUND the rhizomes, as I also have Iris in mixed beds. They also perform much better and grow bigger than my Iris that are not in mulch. I have not tried any other type of mulch other than red bark cedar, so I'm not sure how compost will affect it. Borers are just something you have to be prepared for. They're never going to go away and you will always have a few.

Carlos

Bookmark   September 30, 2009 at 8:57PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Mulch and compost both are moisture retentive --- a no-no on top of rhizomes.

Protection against borers in only possible with, egads, chemicals. There are lots of old threads on borers - a search will find them. I'm so glad I don't have to do a search and squeeze.

Bookmark   September 30, 2009 at 9:01PM
westy1941(Boulder County, CO)

Thanks again to all of you. I am going to do a search on Iris borers right now...no clue why I didn't think of that before. I know about Merit (must be a chemical) that you're supposed to apply in early spring or spring sometime. And I guess I'll be mulching/composting close to - but not ON TOP OF the Iris!

Westy

Bookmark   September 30, 2009 at 9:42PM
More Discussions
reblooming irir
Thought I would post a few of my rebloomers. I was...
Nancy zone 6
Is this Immortality?
I already posted a question about this Iris (see 'Iris...
lydia1959
Louisiana Iris care Houston Texas
Hi! I was wondering if my Louisiana Iris can be cut...
luvpatch2
Homeless US Navy Veteran w. Iris seed to trade
Hello, I currently live at the Homeless Veterans Emergency...
BearState
Irises
I live in Virginia and was told I need to cut back...
maxymom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™