damaged rhysomes

dmparmeleeSeptember 13, 2009

I rescued some old iris at a grape farm that had been sprayed with grape chemicals 4 years ago. One cluster has bloomed 3 times but every bloom is deformed in a different way. Another cluster bloomed this year, and appears to be the same one, but not damaged. Question: would the chemicals permanently alter the blooms or should I just dispose of that cluster. They are all noids, and the reproduced ones are also damaged, so far. How long to wait to repair?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

I assume the cluster which has bloomed 3 times has done so over a period of 3 years. Unless you like the look, dump it. Round Up damage is for 1 year only (maybe less on rebloomers?)

I've not heard of a pest spray that attacks plant genes. Garden Clinic aka Pests & Diseases may be of help.

There is the possibility of it being another iris. A bee pod volunteer at the original location? With mutant genes :-)

Bookmark   September 13, 2009 at 7:23PM
dmparmelee

Yes for 3 years. I think it would have been a fungicide, or like treatment, rather than weed or bug killer. Each one is different even on the same stem, so guess I'll keep them as a conversation starter.
Thank You
Diana

Bookmark   September 14, 2009 at 4:49PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Some people spray their iris regularly with fungicide for iris leaf spot without any distortion of bloom.

I've seen photos of very strange looking seedlings before they were tossed.

Bookmark   September 15, 2009 at 1:03AM
More Discussions
Maybe Triple Your Pleasure?
I was so pleased by the ample rebloom I got from Double...
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
Irises
I live in Virginia and was told I need to cut back...
maxymom
Anyone know how to reach Zebra Gardens?
Hello! I found Zebra Gardens and their breathtaking...
redwolfdoc_z5
Consequences of transplanting in winter/early spring, zone 5
Hello, I have a question about transplanting irises....
kmburton
WANTED: Want any iris , daffodils tulips or lilies
If you are dividing your iris beds and have extra irises...
josephlee
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™