Very long photoperiods?

DrHorticulture_(Z3 Central Saskatchewan)May 10, 2010

I've been keeping some of my eggplant seedlings under an approximate 72 hour light/12 hour dark regime because the T4 light fixture is immovable and a whole foot above the plants. (I do have other adjustable fixtures but there's no more space under them).The seedlings are at the 4th-5th true leaf stage and looking stocky and healthy. Have you done this and if so,did you notice any harmful effects?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davemichigan(zone 6a (SE Michigan))

I don't know about the long photo period. Some plants do need a dark period, but I don't know about eggplants. You can try 18 hours light, 3 hours dark; same proportion but have some rest period.

And have you considered raising the seedlings up? You don't always have to lower the fixture. A shoe box, a few books, a stack of magazines, or many other things can be used to raise the seedlings.

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 1:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hydro_nutrients

I have not tried doing that but I don't think that the long photo period should be of any much concern. Although when starting on seeds, you are only advised to have an 18 hours on and 3 hours off photo cycle. But if you're doing great on that set-up, there shouldn't be any worry :)

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 3:17AM
More Discussions
When to replace lights?
Hi, I have a 3-shelf cart with plant lights. I mostly...
frances_in_nj
Greens stunted, please help
Hello, I've been trying to grow salad greens with a...
kate104
growing tomatoes indoors; what lights to use? help!
I basically want to grow tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants,...
kawaiineko_gardener
Energy efficient grow lighting
We are probably going to buying a nice heavy duty heated...
oldbat2be
heat mats and growing plants
Is there a reason must you move plants off of the heat...
dowlinggram
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™