Dwarf Papaya growing and blooming under grow lights

arctictropical(Z4)May 4, 2014

Here are a couple pics of dwarf papaya plants that I have successfully grown and got to bloom under high intensity grow lights this Winter/Spring. I took the plants outside just to take the pictures. It is still too cold to leave them outside here in Northern Utah. Even last week it was 25 degrees outside one evening. Grow lights work!

I'm even getting some fruit! I have two males and one female plant. Too bad I don't have one male and two female plants.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
treehugger101

Wow! That's incredible. Could you share a pic of the set up they were growing in so we can learn from you? Thanks.

Bookmark   August 31, 2014 at 2:51AM
arctictropical(Z4)

Here' some updated pics of the female papaya since this Spring when I brought it outside from being under the grow lights all winter. I've kept it outside since the danger of frost passed. The fruit is growing quite well. When frost hits, this plant will go back under the grow lights to ripen. treehugger100, I have included a pic of two batteries of my high intensity grow lights.

Bookmark   September 7, 2014 at 11:31PM
jbclem(z9b Topanga, Ca)

Nice papaya plants! I'd like to know about the growing conditions when they are indoors...what's the room temperature where they're growing, and how often do you water them. I've had difficulties keeping papayas alive in the winter unless I have them on heat pads and under grow lights, and there's a size limit on the table where I have the heat pad. And if I just set them next to a window (it's a cold house), they eventually develop root rot, even when I water sparingly. So I've like to know your secrets, if you'll share them.

John

Bookmark   December 20, 2014 at 6:28AM
Marcvegan Smith

I have planted semidwarfs under shop lights, now 8 inches tall, I want to prune the tops to keep them shorter, has anyone tried this before?

Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 4:51AM
More Discussions
More beautiful plumeria blossoms under grow lights
More proof that grow lights work! I planted this plumeria...
arctictropical
When to replace lights?
Hi, I have a 3-shelf cart with plant lights. I mostly...
frances_in_nj
My indoor garden setup - any improvements?
This is my proposed setup for my indoor garden. I'm...
gardev
Pepper Leaf Problem
I am new to the forum, but have a question about a...
kswart19
Please help. Plant hanging after transplant
Hi. I need urgent help. My small chili mini container...
gustaph
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™