Iris that like wet feet

Lizey66September 15, 2013

Does anyone have experience with certain Irises that will grow with very wet feet???

I'm new here and was prompted to join after a horrid day of digging in my horrid back yard, a former 19th century dump for those who once lived here. Other than an antique tea pot, I've found coal ashes and hard compacted soil. AND one corner that pools water where the table is high-BUT I think there are plants that might be able to take it. Yes?

Irises? I know Siberian aren't suppose to be in water and I don't want to plant those big invasive yellow ones.

Any other suggestions?
Please email me. It's easier than accessing the forum when you're busy in the mud!
Thanks for the help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

There was a very nice article on "water iris" published by Horticulture magazine sometime back that is a good resource. It is important to take the subject of 'water iris' with a grain of salt - most iris do not tolerate standing water year round but some are happy in very moist or boggy conditions on a seasonal basis.

Here is a link that might be useful: water iris

Bookmark   September 15, 2013 at 2:49PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Lizey,

Your former 19th century dump can be beautiful with your back-breaking work.

But need to know what zone you are to be able to recommend plants.

Louisianas are mentioned in the excellent article linked above. Again don't know if they will survive winter in your zone.

Bookmark   September 15, 2013 at 4:09PM
Lizey66

Thanks for the article tip. I'm in Maine. The hope I have for VERY wet feet is having seen them growing IN water on the edges of islands here in mid coast Maine. It seems amazing that they are on the edge of SALT water, with feet in fresh. And thanks for the confidence that this nightmare spot could ever be friable. The big enemy is deep toxic sections of ancient burnt coal, grey and horrid. I was going to dig it out but it's too pervasive, so no food growing there. BUT it is one of the only spots to garden on this piece of property so I'll continue to plow forward making spots for certain flower seeds in spring AND iris! Will keep you posted as to whether they make it or not, once I dig some from an island or buy some.

Bookmark   September 15, 2013 at 5:48PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

I believe Japanese irises can grow in marshy conditions. I don't know if they overwinter in Maine, though. You may want to check out the websites for the Japanese and Louisiana Iris societies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese Iris Society

Bookmark   September 15, 2013 at 10:55PM
More Discussions
Homeless US Navy Veteran w. Iris seed to trade
Hello, I currently live at the Homeless Veterans Emergency...
BearState
WANTED: Want any iris , daffodils tulips or lilies
If you are dividing your iris beds and have extra irises...
josephlee
daves10z7annv
how to PM someone??
On this new site I don't see any way to PM anyone....
pembroke
Transplant
Had LA Irises clumping and dug 'em up to replant, but...
George Indel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™