No Beans - All Vines

trsinc(8 TX)June 12, 2009

It seems that everyone in my zone has already begun harvesting beans. I have Roma Green Beans and some sort of red bean that I received at our local Swap. They have made nice foliage but no beans yet. I'm guessing I have too much nitrogen. In the last two years I didn't use any fertilizer, short of a little manure, and I barely even got any vines. This year I used manure, feather meal, and fish emulsion. At least they grew.

What type of natural/organic fertilizer should I use now? Should I add more feather meal? This is the first time I've used the stuff.

As a side note, I just planted pintos about two weeks ago and I also have some of Jim's Scarlet Runners which I'm not expecting beans from until fall, anyway.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iam3killerbs(7 NC Sandhills)

I'm thinking that you're right about too much nitrogen. Don't add more feather meal -- that's more nitrogen.

You probably need to balance it with phosphate and potassium instead.

Have you had a soil test done? Without one you can neglect something critical while overloading something you already have plenty of. :-)

Bookmark   June 12, 2009 at 5:18PM
trsinc(8 TX)

For some reason I was thinking feather meal was the p in NPK. You're right, it isn't. I knew that this spring but then I got mixed up.

So, I was wondering what types of things you all use when you're having a production problem? I'm pretty much organic so I prefer the natural stuff. Bone meal was impossible to find this spring. Any other suggestions?

And, no, I haven't had a soil test done. All my beds are raised with store bought cinder blocks, soil, and everything else. I get a little stingy when it comes to shelling out 35.00 both spring and fall. My soil changes both times. People figured it out once upon a time without the Ag Agent. I figure I can too. Maybe next year I'll try that one.

Bookmark   June 13, 2009 at 10:11PM
iam3killerbs(7 NC Sandhills)

$35!!!!!

Is that the state price or some private agency?

All I had to pay for was the postage.

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 9:27AM
trsinc(8 TX)

Well, I had to go check, lol. It's been a few years since I looked for a soil test. Whatever state or county site I ended up on last time directed me to a private agency because they no longer did them.

Now, when searching, it seems that Texas A&M University is the one. They charge 25.00 for a routine + micronutients + organic matter test (per sample). Just a routine was 10.00 so that's not bad. Routine + organic is 20.00.

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 10:35AM
ppod(6 SE NY)

Too much shade could also be a reason for lack of beans. Any flowers yet?

Bookmark   June 15, 2009 at 12:43AM
trsinc(8 TX)

They don't get any shade. I have lots of flowers on the Insuk's beans, and just a couple on the Romas (they were planted a little later). The other red beans don't have any flowers yet.

We did have a long cool spring. ?

Bookmark   June 15, 2009 at 12:04PM
tedposey

Does sound like too much fertilizer and too acid a soil Side dress with powdered dolomitic lime about a tablespoon per plant not too close to stalk. I don't know price since my 40 lb bag was bought years ago and still got 10 lb or more. A little goes a long way.
Be sure you re-seal the bag since it can absorb high humidity and turn into rock.Lol

Bookmark   June 15, 2009 at 4:24PM
plantslayer(8)

I had the same problem with runners, and dressing with lime seemed to fix the problem. Either that, or I just needed to wait longer...

Bookmark   June 19, 2009 at 4:09PM
chaman(z7MD)

This may be due to excessive N (Nitrogen) in the soil.Do not plant legumes in the same area every year.Legumes enrich the soil with N that will result in vegetative growth and no fruits.It is better to plant Corn at the place legumes were planted last year.Corns are heavy consumers of N that will reduce the N content of the soil.This is known as rotation of crops.

Bookmark   January 20, 2011 at 6:30PM
More Discussions
Shelly Beans
I was just discussing an heirloom bean, "Ma Williams",...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
Bush hyacinth bean
One of the joys of garden forums is being able to trade...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
Purple king beans
Hi I've grown runner beans before and found they do...
chloe456
if you don't like getting emails every time someone replies...
Click on "Your Houzz", Edit Profile, Advanced...
fusion_power
How is the harvest going?
Just wondering how everyone's harvest results have...
deanriowa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™