Overfertilized pole beans

feranniaJune 15, 2009

I am a total beginer. In a compost soil of a community garden, raised bed plot, applied a wrong (fish) fertilizer 5-1-1 imidiatelly after planting seeds, and once again about two weeks later.

I did it on advice of a garden manager who supplied the fertilizer telling us it is good for everything we want to grow.

Later, by experienced gardeners I learned that's not a good fertilization for beans (more precisely Italian pole beans Goldmarie, Phaseolus vulgaris L. var. vulgaris).

Now leaves are big and plentiful, but I am afraid there will be no beans.

Would a balancing with a fertilizer 0-12-0 (half strength) do any good and help produce some fruit ? I am afraid I will do only worse applying more chemicals.

Gardeners from neighbouring plots suggested I get rid of my plants, plant zuccini and some squash while I still have time, in order to clean up soil of excess nitrogen, and the soil will be good for beans for next yers sowing.

I actually hope all that nitrogen might be depleted by now, maybe there is still some hope for the plants ?

Is there anything I can do to repair the damage and have some beans this year ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tcstoehr

Why do you think there will be no beans? I don't see why some fish fertilizer would be a show-stopper. Are your plants old enough and tall enough to be showing flower buds? If they're 6 feet or taller, check the leaf axils for young flower bud clusters. If they develop flowers, I would think they'll set bean pods. If the flower clusters are too immature, you may not be able to distinguish them from new vines, which also sprout from the leaf axils.
If it were me and those bean plants looked healthy, I'd lay off the fertilizer and let them grow.

Bookmark   June 15, 2009 at 6:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdilla

I would take my chances at this point. Maybe ther is enough P in the soil to support blooming and bean production. Nitrogen will give you lots of vine, but if P and K are available especially P which is essential to fruiting plants you may still get a bumper crop. At this stage I would only consider adding P ( phosphate) as a foliar feed, But I would probably just takes my chances. I am not one to make many mid stream corrections.

Bookmark   June 15, 2009 at 6:47PM
More Discussions
Marvel of Venice
I'd like to try a couple of plants of the yellow pole...
barbge
Gialet della Val Belluna Bean
Has anyone grown this, or know anything about it? I...
rosieo
Stringless pole bean?
Hello, I would like to find a good pole bean that has...
cowabunga1
where to find Hilda/Helda romano pole beans?
Two yeas ago health problems interfered with getting...
matthias_lang
Canning crowder peas VS Freezing, my take on the subject
Last year I decided to can some of my Hercules crowder...
wertach zone 7-B SC
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™