Help with light bulb Question

teisa(6)May 13, 2013

I have added the 6500k CF (23 watt) bulbs in my sunroom and I've seen growth on my plants I normally wouldn't have had during winter. Now my mother grows violets and uses a 60 watt grow bulb. Which bulb is better for growth?

I'm definately no expert on the terminology but I think the cf would do a better job. Can anyone else offer advice on what to use?

Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)

The 23 watt CFL puts out about 1600 lumen were as the 60 watt puts out about 650 lumens. The 60 watt bulb puts out 60 watts of heat where about 1 watt of that heat is radiated in the visible light spectrum. The CFL puts out 23 watts of heat where about 3 watts are in the visible light spectrum. If you need heat more that visible light then the 60 wins, but if you need light and at the blue end of the spectrum the CFL beats the pants off the 60 watt incandescent grow lamp. In almost any application the CFL wins by a long shot
Click on any picture to open my photo albums to see all

4 ft by 4 ftby 3.5 ft with 12 CFL's at 13 watts each containing peppers in 5 gallon buckets.

single 13 watt 6500 K CFL in bucket that tree fits into.

Broccoli plant under 8 CFL bulbs providing heat for the tree's root and light for the broccoli, If 60 wat grow lights had been used the plant would scorch before they would get enough light to grow well.

The link below gives acces to the light grown starts go

Here is a link that might be useful: http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/wreristhechimney/library/five-four-thirteen

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 10:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teisa(6)

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain!!! Plus I loved seeing your pictures, they gave me some great ideas!! I knew the 23 cfl was better but I couldn't find the info on the Internet to explain to mom why it was more efficient. This will be perfect for showing her why she is wasting her money buying those 60 watt (grow bulbs) at Walmart!! I really appreciate you taking your time!! I loved how you have broccoli growing!

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 10:22AM
More Discussions
More beautiful plumeria blossoms under grow lights
More proof that grow lights work! I planted this plumeria...
arctictropical
New to Forum - some questions, comments about heating mats
I have been starting flower seeds indoors for years...
snapdrag
Pepper Leaf Problem
I am new to the forum, but have a question about a...
kswart19
My indoor garden setup - any improvements?
This is my proposed setup for my indoor garden. I'm...
gardev
T5 vs T8 and equivalent
Obviously T5s are the better choice for indoor growing,...
gardev
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™