When to pick shelling peas...

heirloomjunkie(5a)June 17, 2010

I have some Burpee shelling peas that are popping out everywhere (late, I know). They seem to be doing quite well, but I'm not sure when they are ripe to pick, and don't know how to cook/prepare/preserve them. Guess I should have thought about that before now... :)

Any suggestions?

Kim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fusion_power

do what I do. eat them.

:D

When they are mature, pick them, shell them, steam them for about 3 minutes, and eat them.

DarJones

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 1:31AM
anney(Georgia 8)

If you hold the pods up to the light, you'll be able to see how large the peas are. What variety of shelling peas are you growing? There should be information online about how large the peas will be for optimal eating if you can't tell yourself.

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 3:13AM
farmerdilla

When the pods have filled out. If you let them go too long they will get starchy. You can pick the as soon as they shell easily. Lots of ways to eat English peas. Lightly boiled with butter is my favorite.

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 6:32PM
heirloomjunkie(5a)

Thanks, guys!

Another thing, any idea why my peas are getting yellow/ dried leaves at the bottom? The middle and tops seem to be doing just fine, but the bottoms are looking kind of sickly. I did plant them a little late this year.

Kim

Bookmark   June 20, 2010 at 5:21PM
cabrita(9b SoCal)

Mine always get yellow leaves at the bottom, I think it is normal. The plants look healthy otherwise, so I don't worry about it. Pick you peas when they are completely filled out but before the husks get leathery or rough and discolor. They should still be bright green and fat, with a smooth texture. The peas get all crowded inside. Looking at them with a strong light is a good suggestion.

The ones that you missed and that get browner and with rough husks you can use for seed next year!

Bookmark   June 23, 2010 at 1:56PM
More Discussions
Anybody know what cultivar????
Sorry about the blurry phone pics... We've been growing...
mav72
Jeminez
I just received some Jeminez seeds from Sand Hill....
shuffles_gw
Canning crowder peas VS Freezing, my take on the subject
Last year I decided to can some of my Hercules crowder...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Margaret Best Greasy Cut Short
These took 66 days to the first picking. I planted...
shuffles_gw
The Mayocoba Bean story
Have you heard of the controversy that evidently went...
RuthieG__TX
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™