Crimson King?

tabarhodes(5, NM)September 21, 2009

I've had this iris for several years now and this year I moved some of them to my backyard. They surprised me by reblooming! (Only the ones I moved to the backyard.)

Through looking at pictures online I thought it might be Crimson King, fits the description, but it's so hard to get a good picture depicting the reddish purple color! They are only about 26"-28" and very fragrant.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carlos42180(Z5 Chicago)

Greetings,

The 1939 Checklist does not list Crimson King as a reblooming variety, but remontancy was not something that was accurately sought, and was more of a novelty until later on.

Crimson King is an Intermediate Bearded Iris, so it should bloom earlier than your Tall Beardeds. Your height analysis seems correct. I'm not sure if what you have is definitely Crimson King, due to the angle the photograph was taken. It should have the long, droopy falls.

Sincerely,
Carlos
Brighton Park Iris
http://www.brightonparkiris.com/

Bookmark   September 21, 2009 at 9:37PM
tabarhodes(5, NM)

Thank you Carlos. You are right of course about the angle of the photograph. I didn't notice it until you pointed it out. The falls are definitely long and droopy, to me they look to have the exact proportions of the iris in your second photograph. In fact, in my opinion, the iris in your second photo looks exactly like mine.

Bookmark   September 22, 2009 at 9:29AM
sylviatexas1

looks like my Crimson King, which is the first iris to bloom, sometimes in late February, & it's also the last to bloom in May.

Bookmark   September 25, 2009 at 12:31PM
More Discussions
Irises
I live in Virginia and was told I need to cut back...
maxymom
reblooming irir
Thought I would post a few of my rebloomers. I was...
Nancy zone 6
Question about Bearded Irises
I planted two Jurassic Park bearded irises two years...
GrammaFluff
Dried out Rhizomes - Iris
I have a few Iris that are dried out from storing them...
pinkkpearls
Iris douglasiana
I'm looking for sources for this iris that will ship....
herbal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™