holes in pole bean leaves???

djonesc(zone 5/99022 - spokane area)June 9, 2008

our pole beans are, maybe, 3 inches high and today i noticed tiny holes in the leaves on almost every plant ... they are planted in about a 15-20 foot row next to onion sets. which are up ... what could be eating these leaves and will it effect the beans, meaning, will the beans grow ... do we need to plant more seeds? i have seen no snails or slugs (we lived in a *desert area* outside yakima, wa

we planted beans in two places in the garden and, right today, the other beans seem to be ok ... a little later planting ...

darlene, who thanks all of you for the bocolli help (we bought new starts and dumped the old ones that *buttoned* ...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
djonesc(zone 5/99022 - spokane area)

ok ... it's now a few days later and the holes are looking terrible ... do we replant? what bug are we looking for .... we sure could use some help from you gardeners ........

thank you ....

darlene

Bookmark   June 12, 2008 at 2:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hamiltongardener(CAN 6a)

Sorry to walk in late, maybe too late to help.

I would say bean leaf beetles. So out during a nice warm day if you can and look under the leaves for a bug that looks similar to a ladybug, only not as round. Knock them off into a glass of soapy water and let 'em drown. Get as many as you can every day and hope your beans have a chance to recover.

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 8:18PM
More Discussions
Brown bunch beans---info....please.
My 3 rows of KY Wonder bush bean played their best...
utdeedee
Catjang/Brow Bean
I saw an interesting Vigna offered on eBay the other...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
Margaret Best Greasy Cut Short
These took 66 days to the first picking. I planted...
shuffles_gw
Japanese Sword Beans
Anyone grow these. Kitizawa seed company offers them....
denninmi
Purple king beans
Hi I've grown runner beans before and found they do...
chloe456
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™