Moving plants outside

OSgardenerJune 21, 2011

I have several plants that I am planning on moving outdoors. The plants include 1. banana peppers 2. jalapenos 3. tomatoes 4. summer squash 5. cucumber 6. eggplant

I started these plants indoors under 6500k light about three weeks ago. They are taking up quite a bit of room under my lettuce setup, therefore I need to move them outside into my garden. According to the planting zone map, I live in zone 8b. The weather has been hot (90 degrees) and sunny. We have had a few overcast days with 85 degree weather recently. I am unsure how I should go about moving these plants outside. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nygardener(z6 New York)

"Harden them off" by putting them out in shade and then exposing them gradually to more sun each day.

However, three weeks is a little young to move seedlings outside. Can you wait until they have a few pairs of true leaves before transplanting them?

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 9:22PM
DannyMcMann

There's absolutely no reason they can't be put outside now. Seeds sprout outside all the time. There's no such thing as too young. Just make sure you harden them off gradually and they will be fine.
The reason most people plant larger transplants is to get a head start on production, not because they have to be a certain age or height to do good.

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 9:32PM
gumby_ct(CT it says Z5)

If they were germinated inside then they should only get a couple hrs of sun initially. IF they begin to look sick it's too much sun all of a sudden. read up on hardening off.

Good Luck

Bookmark   June 28, 2011 at 10:23PM
More Discussions
Greens stunted, please help
Hello, I've been trying to grow salad greens with a...
kate104
Browning and drying avocado leaves
I've been growing two avocado plants for about 10 months...
leuconoe
WHERE is your light set up?
I was wondering where you all have your light set up?...
SunshineZone7
Cost-Efficient Lighting
Does anyone know what the most cost-efficient lighting...
Tigger033
Pepper Leaf Problem
I am new to the forum, but have a question about a...
kswart19
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™