pole beans

dawei39(Bronx, NYC)June 21, 2007

I am looking for info on a bean that was sent to me from NYC by a friend who is from Puerto Rico - I am told this is a "pole bean" - The pod, which I have see when dried - was at least 1 foot long and about 3/4 of an inch wide - the individual beans are at least an inch in length and are brick red in color -

I planted the three that I was given and they have begun to grow. Now someone else from Puerto Rico tells me they cannot be eaten - if I get a ton of these giant beans, I would like to know if they are edible or not because otherwise what would I do with them?

I know they are climbing beans because I planted one in the winter inside and it ran all the way to the top of the kitchen window before it finally died from a lack of good light. These are outside and I want to know if they are more than just a conversation piece

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ruthieg__tx(z8 TX)

Did someone by the name of Jack give them to you?

Bookmark   June 21, 2007 at 8:38PM
farmerdilla

Odds are, it is not a pole bean. (P. vulgaris) At least I don't know of one that matches that description. Possibilities include runner beans (P. cocineus) which are edible tho mostly used as ornamentals. Hyacinth bean (Dolichos lablab). Jack Bean (Canavalia ensiformis). Sword bean (Canavalia gladiata)

Here is a link that might be useful: hyacinth bean

Bookmark   June 21, 2007 at 9:00PM
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

I remember a similar question coming up somewhere on GW last year, but haven't been able to find it.

Farmerdilla is on the right track. What you most likely have is the Sword Bean, which is red seeded. The seeds are considered to be poisonous, although there are reports of them being eaten immature.

Personally, I wouldn't grow them, except as a curiousity. They require a long, warm growing season (and are most likely daylength-sensitive, in which case they would not bloom until September). There are so many wonderful limas that would thrive under those conditions!

Bookmark   June 22, 2007 at 4:37PM
lelia(Northern Cal)

HERE is another thread about this.... maybe the one zeedman is referring to?

Bookmark   June 25, 2007 at 6:48PM
sewadoll(5 Southern Indiana)

Probably not a Hyacinth Bean, they are black and white in color. When they bloom it's a beautiful purple flower, beautiful to look at but not to eat. Oddly enough the old-timers call the Hyacinth the Jack in the Bean Stock Plant.

Mary Ann

Bookmark   June 29, 2007 at 8:25PM
chaman(z7MD)

From the discussions in above postings I beleive it is Cavalia gladiata (sword bean) which I have seen growing on the fences in the wild in India. Tender leaves and pods were used as fodder for the animals.There is a picture of the pod on
www.davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/131910/.

Bookmark   June 30, 2007 at 9:33AM
More Discussions
Italian Rose bush beans.
I have some italian rose beans. Can they be grown in...
Desirai
Margaret Best Greasy Cut Short
These took 66 days to the first picking. I planted...
shuffles_gw
My first full beans
I will be harvesting full beans for the first time...
shuffles_gw
Marvel of Venice
I'd like to try a couple of plants of the yellow pole...
barbge
Interesting threads...
Searching for past posts isn't that easy, at least...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Square-tapered Fabric Floor Lamp with Dark Brown Wood Base
ParrotUncle
Window Curtains Lined from DiaNoche Designs by Julia Di Sano - Blooming Beautifu
$89.00 | DiaNoche
Ahh Products 36-Inch Wide Wavelength Jelly Bean Cotton Washable Bean Bag Chair
Overstock.com
Area Rug: Mineral Coffee Bean 8' x 11'
Home Depot
Toobe Table Lamp by Kartell
$360.00 | Lumens
Orland Mission Bronze Adjustable Pharmacy Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™