Overwintering Oriental Lilies

summerflowersJune 25, 2007

I live in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and I bought 2 Mona Lisas last month--they are blooming beautifully, but I heard they may not survive our winter. Can anyone give me tips on overwintering these other than digging them up and bringing them in the house?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hld6(z7 MD)

Hi Summerflowers
Lilies can stand very cold weather, so "cold hardiness" isn't the problem. The difficulty for cold zones is when does Fall dormancy occur relative to when the lily blooms.

Lilies need time after they bloom (which depletes the bulbs energy stores) to build back up through photosynthesis. If the leaves die back shortly after bloom that can't happen.

The orientals are the later blooming of the lilies Many bloom from late July up to late August and so are riskier for cold zones - where Fall comes early.

Lucky for you, Mona Lisa is one of the earliest blooming of the Orientals - blooming in mid June for most people. Since yours are blooming now you should have time for them to build up before they go dormant. (Just how early does Fall come where you live?)

The Lily Nook (a Canadian nursery) has a bunch of information pages on growing lilies in cold (i.e., early Fall) zones.

-Helen

Bookmark   June 25, 2007 at 4:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sierra_z2b

I have been growing oriental lilies in zone 2b for many years. When I planted them, I planted a good 6 inches deep and planted the bulbs sideways. They bloom later, but have reliably come back and bloomed year after year.

Maybe post this question on the Far North Garden forum...there are lots of us cold zone gardeners there.

Good luck with your lilies,
Sierra

Bookmark   June 26, 2007 at 10:20AM
More Discussions
Wisconsin Illinois Lily Society news
Our winter Lecture Series is beginning this weekend! On...
linnea56
Best/Favorite Co. to get Lily Bulbs?
I would like to add some tall fragrant oriental, chinese...
aunt_lou
Storing my newly purchased lily bulbs
I just purchased many lily bulbs, mostly oriental....
grammabarb
hostaholic2 z 4, MN
Red Lily Leaf Beetle Sited
11:15 am in Malden, Ma ( just outside Boston) Came...
MichaelB_MAz6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™