Repeat Blooming Asiatic Lilies?!?!?!?

fivemurfs(6.5 TN)June 17, 2009

Someone from a nursery told a friend of mine that if she cut back her lilies to a certain node they would repeat bloom. I told her I thought this sounded like nonsense, but I would ask the question of those in the know.

Is there any truth to this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alina_1

Sounds like nonsense to me too.

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 4:41PM
persiancat_gardener(z8 O’burg, scarolina)

Well, my question is ---my lilies are setting little brown
bubblets on top of where the bloom was. These little bubblets are sending out small green blades? Is this new bulb or what? Should I let it grow and then plant it out for next year??????

Bookmark   June 18, 2009 at 6:34PM
fivemurfs(6.5 TN)

Persiancat, curiosity would force me to let it grow so I could see what happens.

Bookmark   June 20, 2009 at 2:46PM
leftwood(z4a MN)

Your little brown bubblets (bulblets) are bulbils, growing in the axils of leaves (where the leaf meets the stem). Essentially, they are little bulbs growing in the air. They will not produce blooms up there, but you can plant them and produce an exact copy of the lily it came from.

A lily reblooming in the manner you speak of is nonsense. There will be reblooming lilies coming into the market soon, but they rebloom because they produce additional stems that initiate multiple times during the growing season, not just in the spring. Hence, a sprout that comes up in mid June will bloom later than one that emerges in early May, and so you get "reblooming" from the same plant (but two separate stems).

Bookmark   June 20, 2009 at 7:57PM
kprp(6)

Once a year at a show or sale, a member of the public will tell me about a reblooming lily. I just nod and smile and say "hey that's nice!" but I suspect they are talking about daylilies since "rebloomers" are part of the daylily world.

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 4:09PM
york_rose

Lots of people confuse lilies () with daylilies (). No true lily reblooms, but there are some daylilies that do.

Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 4:32PM
More Discussions
hostaholic2 z 4, MN
Red Lily Leaf Beetle Sited
11:15 am in Malden, Ma ( just outside Boston) Came...
MichaelB_MAz6
id for pink crinum
I am looking for the botanical name for the pink crinum...
linda_leaf z10fla
Toad Lily
In five years, this is the first flower my toad lily...
TNY78
I'm sensitive to lily smell- has anyone heard of this before?
I don't mean to judge or critisize anyone for their...
hjihji
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™