Looking for an odd size light

korina(9b, Sunset 17)June 10, 2005

Hi. I'm new to this forum, but not Gardenweb. I'm getting *real* frustrated, because no one seems to make a 36" flourescent light fixture. My light stand consists of a wire shelving unit from Target that I've outfitted with two 24" fixtures per shelf; just as my African violets finally adjusted (mostly) to too much light, I got another smaller shelving unit that fits those fixtures perfectly.

So anyhoo, I now need two simple, basic 36" flourescent light fixtures, and *I can't find any*!

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Korina

- 'Clown shoes. Why did it have to be clown shoes?'

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lightmaster(z8 Salem, Ore.)

You can find single tube 3 footers at HomeDepot and lowes for $16.97....

-j-

Bookmark   June 10, 2005 at 8:02PM
nygardener(z6 New York)

Aquarium stores often have double-tube (and wider) ones.

Bookmark   June 10, 2005 at 8:17PM
korina(9b, Sunset 17)

j, thanks. I figured Home Despot etc. would have them, but the nearest box is a good three hour drive each direction. Gas is too $$$. I'm poor.

Having said that, nygardener, I'll check with our one or two aquarium stores, but I think they're $$$ too. Everything is $$$. I only make $ on a good check.

Pardon me; it's Monday, I have a sore throat, and I tend to whine anyway.

Thanks for your suggestions guys.

Korina

Bookmark   June 13, 2005 at 2:44PM
nygardener(z6 New York)

Home Depot sells 3-foot fixtures online. The single-light version j mentions is listed for $15.99, Internet/Catalog #324655. A double-light version for $26.49 is Internet/Catalog # 324727. (You can also search their site for the keyword fluorescent.) Shipping a couple of fixtures will add another $10 or so.

Is there a place near you that sells 36" bulbs? Many people recommend a combination of one warm-white and one cool-white. For the fixtures mentioned above, you're looking for 36-inch, 30-watt T-12 medium bi-pin bulbs (that is, standard 3-foot tubes). There are lots of places that sell fluorescent tubes online, but many seem to have large minimum order quantities (15 or more). Here's one that doesn't. A combination of warm white and either cool white or "daylight" should do the trick.

Bookmark   June 14, 2005 at 8:52AM
korina(9b, Sunset 17)

ny, thanks! Wow! You're going to keep me busy all day following all those links. Still $$$. ;-)

I've been using just cool white bulbs for almost a year now, and everything *seems* happy...

Korina

Bookmark   June 14, 2005 at 2:12PM
nygardener(z6 New York)

Well K, I don't think you're going to do much cheaper than a couple of mail-order Home Depot fixtures and some three-dollar cool-white bulbs. Two double fixtures, plus four bulbs, will cost you about $85, including shipping, delivered to your door (no gas). Them's the breaks! And, yeah, the whole clown shoes thing has me puzzled, too.

Bookmark   June 17, 2005 at 10:48PM
korina(9b, Sunset 17)

nygardener, $85 is a LOT of money to me, especially all at once. I'm going to finish re-arranging everything and see how it goes. If it doesn't, I can always go back to Home Despot. Thanks so much for your help.

Um, the clown shoes quote was a bit of random silliness I threw in -- it's from an unproduced script I was once coerced into reading. Just don't ask about the time-travelling Chevy Nova.

Korina

Bookmark   June 22, 2005 at 12:08PM
nygardener(z6 New York)

Yes, I realized after posting that I had been a little cranky. I hope you find a solution that works well.

I wasn't even going to mention the Nova, though I encountered it last week. It had set out this coming Fourth of July for some last-minute grocery shopping.

Bookmark   June 26, 2005 at 4:48PM
More Discussions
Lots of seeds - Please help me get started (Zone 6A)
I went a little overboard with a couple of seed orders...
oldbat2be
HELP!..Possible Indoor Pepper growing probz!
I have a few questions regarding my pepper plants at...
Bobby Cooper
1000 watts surrounded by 320 plants! Shoe organizers are back!
Some of you may remember my shoe organizer grows. Im...
MisterK
Seeking advice about current indoor seed starting setup
Hello, I am new to gardening and would like to start...
dotagardener
When to replace lights?
Hi, I have a 3-shelf cart with plant lights. I mostly...
frances_in_nj
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™