lighting t5 vs metal halide

csk14June 1, 2013

Which lighting is best for indoor growing. I have been using regular 2700 or 6500 K 30- 60W florescent bulbs and I think my growth isgoing well still a friend told me my greenhouse would be more productive w/ T5 and or HID. I do not understand.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
overdrive

T12 "regular" fluorescent have very low lumen/watt - Personally I use T8 because lumen/watt is similar to T5, but the lamps last longer and are marginally cheaper, also the T8 ballast can be found used on Ebay for very cheap compared to T5, and you can simply rewire your T12 fixture with a new ballast and not have to buy the whole thing. - or even buy a cheap shoplight T12 fixture and throw the ballast out - also I use metal halide lighting and HPS lighting, and with proper choice these are also good - I have a 575 W pulse start Venture lamp, and a 600W HPS lamp - also very good - paul m.

Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 9:19AM
overdrive

if you have a light meter, you can find it out for yourself, exactly how much illumination you are getting at what distance. I find that metal halide or hps (HID) will grow plants taller than fluorescent. Fluorescent is good for up to 8-12", taller than that and HID is better, at least with me.

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 9:32AM
xFozzyx

HPS/HID is the way to go.

Most grow light kits will have a lumen raiting that you can use to compare against the same watt rating of T5 or any other kind of lighting.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 2:43AM
More Discussions
Pepper Leaf Problem
I am new to the forum, but have a question about a...
kswart19
germinating and lighting
I am about to start some hot pepper seeds I ordered...
mikwya
Seeking advice about current indoor seed starting setup
Hello, I am new to gardening and would like to start...
dotagardener
Greens stunted, please help
Hello, I've been trying to grow salad greens with a...
kate104
Need help with my Petunia and Coleus Seedlings
I am trying to grow as many petunia and coleus seeds...
Cathy Cokley
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™