Do stargazers stand up straight?

socksJune 24, 2009

I planted the Stargazer 2 years ago, and it has bloomed, but I'm not sure if it's ok in its location. It is now over 7' tall and has fallen forward across the flower bed. I had to put a stake in the ground to prop the end up so it does not lay down to the ground. It has 8 buds. Is that an average number of buds?

I would call the location "partial shade," getting a few hours of sun in the morning.

Obviously I don't know a lot about lilies, so thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alina_1

Are you sure that you have Stargazers? Stargazer is an Oriental Lily. The average height is 3-4'. I've never seen them much taller than 4'. Definitely not 7'. Can you post pictures?

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 10:49AM
socks

Hi Alina, thanks for posting. Here's a picture of the lily. I just assumed it was Stargazer but don't really know. You can see where I have it propped up with a stick; otherwise it would be lying on the ground. It's grows from the back of a shade garden, so maybe it grows so long reaching for sun?

Bookmark   July 7, 2009 at 6:47PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Probably reaching for the sun and probably not 'Stargazer' as they aren't this tall even in shade but many Oriental Hybrid Lilies look similar to Stargazer and many think they are all Stargazer. :) A nice stake will work wonders. I have the same problem in my yard that doesn't get full sun.

Bookmark   July 26, 2009 at 9:23AM
More Discussions
Is there any hope??
I have lilies that grow wild on the side of my house....
Twin Cities Trade
Is this a Lily, or what is it?
I planted this as a bulb over 5 years ago, basically...
jacqueline9CA
Is this weed some sort of lily?
No idea what this is, except that it is a weed, and...
jacqueline9CA
got my first peace lilly...
On the sale rack at a big box store. Ive looked around...
jameya
Toad Lily
In five years, this is the first flower my toad lily...
TNY78
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™