Grow African Violets, W/AeroGrow Lights?

aveo5June 16, 2010

Hi. This is new to me,so please go easy on me. I have several AeroGrow gardens,and have had great success growing most anything I plant in my gardens. I have 3 'Classic 7 pod' gardens, thats the big ones,in the AeroGrow world.

Ok...I have a small collection of African Violets that I would like to try to grow under the lights from one of my AeroGrow Gardens. I need the room and light to grow more. The lightbulbs say they are 1560 Lumens and 26 Watts PER bulb, at least I think it is PER bulb,it uses 2 bulbs in the garden, and it is VERY bright!

They are a 'compact fluorescent' type, with reflectors behind them, and running water under the growtray top, that I could place 6-8 min or semi mini violets, or a few big AV's on, and they would get humidity from the water, and light from the bulbs.

BUT my problem is I dont know if this is a lot of light? To much light? Not enough light?

They are adjustable,from about 4ins away from the violets crowns, to about a foot away. I could use 1 bulb, if 2 is to strong. But I dont know if 1560 Lumens is a lot? Or if 26 Watts is a lot? Per bulb. I know that together, I get great huge flowering petunia gardens year round, or mini tomato plants year round.

Does anyone know if these bulbs are to bright, or not bright enough, or what? I had a few violets sitting by the side of 1 garden for a few weeks, and they grew and bloomed! They had not bloomed in years. So they must be great lightbulbs. But these were on the side, and there was a full garden of petunias absorbing a lot of the light, I am sure. And these AV's still grew and bloomed. I tried to put some directly under the lights, and they burned in less than 3 days and died. I cant loose anymore. So..I figured that I should find out if 1560 Lumens is a lot? And if 2 bulbs, that strong, is to much for violets? About how far should I put the lights away from the plants? I can remove 1 bulb,and make it darker. But I have not tried any more violets, since I lost the last 2.

So..anyone? Has anyone any idea how strong these lights are? Is 1560 Lumens a lot? Is 26 Watts per bulb a lot? It sounds like very little. BUT it grows tomatos, and they are light hogs! And they grow other flowers/herbs/veggies,the gardens work great..but I think it would be a great way to grow some violets. I know violets grow so great under lights. But are these lights to much if I use them directly? Or not enough, or what???

Help!!! Please.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tommyr_gw

I have a few Aerogarden 3's and I think the light would be fine for AVs. I'd place the AV pot(s) on the top of the tray, not IN the water. Maybe keep the light 8-9 inches above the leaves. Of coarse you'd need to keep water in the tank and cover the pod holes to prevent splashing.

Bookmark   September 2, 2010 at 8:57PM
More Discussions
Browning and drying avocado leaves
I've been growing two avocado plants for about 10 months...
leuconoe
Question about MH lights?
I have access to a lot of 400 watt metal halide lights,...
wertach zone 7-B SC
T5 vs T8 and equivalent
Obviously T5s are the better choice for indoor growing,...
gardev
Any thoughts about this new LED grow light?
This one looks like it might actually be plausible......
ccc1
bulb question
I put a 75 W Philips Bulb - 120 volt- (Agro-Lite BR30)...
ellenr22
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™