After eight lilies in trouble?

mattie93June 1, 2013

I'm recently decided id try my hand at taking care of plants. Sadly one of the flowering plants I bought, after eight lilies, bloomed very well but now the flowers have died off which was expected. But now I have only one leaf and two small new growth leaves left on the plant' Did I do something wrong? The leaves were fallen around the pot when I came home from work yesterday. Will they survive if I repot them or do I just need to leave them in the pot?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
interspecific(5)

Usually, when potted lilies are either too wet or too dry, the leaves will turn yellow and fall quite rapidly. After Eights seem to be real sensitive about being too wet(for me anyway). I would suggest putting the plant in a semi shaded spot where it is a little cooler and keep it just barely moist. With lilies, being a little drier is always better than being too wet. Keep the stem and leaves just as they are and then plant it out in the garden this fall. Since this lily was 'forced' to flower early in a nursery greenhouse, some loss of leaves after flowering is not all that unusual. while the plant adjusts to the outside world. It won't grow anymore new leaves from the main stem(s) this year, but don't be surprised if you see new little baby plants come up--After Eights multiple pretty fast!

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 7:32AM
More Discussions
I'm sensitive to lily smell- has anyone heard of this before?
I don't mean to judge or critisize anyone for their...
hjihji
Oriental Lilies in Pots...Where to Overwinter in zone 4?
Hi all, I don't have room to plant lilies in my garden...
haydenrose
id for pink crinum
I am looking for the botanical name for the pink crinum...
linda_leaf z10fla
Red Lily Leaf Beetle Sited
11:15 am in Malden, Ma ( just outside Boston) Came...
MichaelB_MAz6
Is this weed some sort of lily?
No idea what this is, except that it is a weed, and...
jacqueline9CA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™