what kind of lights are best?

love2garden-nc(7)June 24, 2012

I am starting seeds inside for the first time-trying broccoli first to plant out for a fall crop. My husband bought me a simple florescent grow light at walmart. the package says it puts out 75watts-it is a 24inch setup. the back of the package says it is 120v 60hz 17w 300mA. will this give out enough light? If not what kind of light should I buy, preferably something I can purchase from Lowe's or Walmart. I don't need anything elaborate-just a simple,basic setup. how close do I put the light to the seedlings? thanks for any advice to get me on the right track.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eahamel(9a)

I use 48" shop lights from Lowe's or Home Depot. They're cheap. That 24" light isn't strong enough. There are bulbs that are 6,000 mA, that's what you need for house plants. I got them at one of the stores above.

Put the lights about 6" from the seedlings and you may need to mist them or water more if they dry out.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 11:07AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
klinko16

make sure it is not the energy saving fixture, and that it runs at the full 32W per tube (total 64watt). The seedlings can almost touch the lamp. Get them as close as possible.

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 6:56PM
More Discussions
Correcting Lighting Later?
Hello, I am germinating Palmer amaranth for an experiment...
Tigger033
germinating and lighting
I am about to start some hot pepper seeds I ordered...
mikwya
HELP!..Possible Indoor Pepper growing probz!
I have a few questions regarding my pepper plants at...
Bobby Cooper
Need help with my Petunia and Coleus Seedlings
I am trying to grow as many petunia and coleus seeds...
Cathy Cokley
bulb question
I put a 75 W Philips Bulb - 120 volt- (Agro-Lite BR30)...
ellenr22
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™