Pole Beans failing

philpharmerJune 6, 2008

Put 8-10 Kentucky Wonder seeds in a large container two weeks ago. Germination went great and as of last weekend all 10 were up and growing like crazy. I thinned a couple out to give them some breathing space. All of a sudden all the leaves, secondary not the seed leaves, have started to wilt or dry up from the edges inward and then they are just failing one at a time. We have had a lot of rain and wind but the container is well drained. I used a commercial garden soil to fill the container so I hope there wasn't anything in the soil to cause this to happen. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
belindach(9A)

Did you thin by cutting the beans or did you pull them up?

Bookmark   June 7, 2008 at 10:41AM
philpharmer

Sorry didn't make it back right away. I thinned by pulling, soil was still lose enough to get the whole thing.

Bookmark   June 9, 2008 at 11:07PM
belindach(9A)

You might have disturbed the root systems of the other beans by pulling. I will take a pair of scissors and clip those I want thinned.

Bookmark   June 10, 2008 at 10:24AM
bigjack

Mine are doing great in 3 gallon containers, 4 to the pot. They are blooming now but no beans yet. I water mine twice a day and fertilize(2dips/gallon, one quart per pot) every other day with 25%N Miracle grow. Sounds like a lot of watering and fertilizer but they are looking good and I arrived at these amounts by trial and error, almost loosing them in the effort.

Bookmark   June 12, 2008 at 12:15PM
More Discussions
where to find Hilda/Helda romano pole beans?
Two yeas ago health problems interfered with getting...
matthias_lang
Gialet della Val Belluna Bean
Has anyone grown this, or know anything about it? I...
rosieo
What does "as soon as soil can be worked" really mean?
I know it might be a dumb question to ask because the...
beesneeds
Purple king beans
Hi I've grown runner beans before and found they do...
chloe456
Jeminez
I just received some Jeminez seeds from Sand Hill....
shuffles_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™