stunted Asiatic lilies

garden_for_life(5b/6)June 29, 2012

Does anyone know what is going on? My Asiatic lilies are all in different spots, yet all except for the "Vermeer" ones did not bloom in a normal manner - buds were misshapen and much smaller than normal and much less of them. Do you think it is due to spraying them too much for the red lily beetles during the growing season? The ones I can remember are: pixie, Negro, Star gazer, about 4 others I can't remember the names.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

It appears that many people had serious problems with botrytis on their lilies this year, especially Asiatic lilies. Could that be the problem?

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 1:11AM
garden_for_life(5b/6)

Thanks for the info, I looked it up. It could also be basal rot, apparently, because they specifically mention stunted growth. I am really worried, I have a ton of these all over and they are the highlights of my garden!

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 4:26PM
wieslaw59

You cannot confuse bortrytis on leaves with other things. The distortion can be also caused by late frost , which damaged the shoot without killing it. If you are worried about basal rot, then try to dig one up and see whether IT IS BASAL ROT. No point in going around and worrying. If it is basal rot, you can at least save some scales which are not infected and try to propagate them .

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 9:48AM
swontgirl_z5a(5a)

I have some stunted this year too. I think it was just the crazy weather in April with no rain and many frosts with the cool weather. Some don't have the bud count they usually do.
On the other hand some seem to have divided like crazy over the winter. I have seen that before in a mild winter like we had this year both with lilies and tulips.
BTW what are you spraying them with for red lily beetles?

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 6:54PM
More Discussions
Oriental Lilies in Pots...Where to Overwinter in zone 4?
Hi all, I don't have room to plant lilies in my garden...
haydenrose
Take that voles/mice !
My lilies were looking beautiful & increasing for...
pandora
Need help with Lilies of the Valley
Hello, I purchased a package of lilies of the valley...
Deb Capecci
Wisconsin Illinois Lily Society news
Our winter Lecture Series is beginning this weekend! On...
linnea56
Is this a Lily, or what is it?
I planted this as a bulb over 5 years ago, basically...
jacqueline9CA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™