Deep south iris experiment,

pandy(10sFL)September 3, 2008

Hi all,

Im mostly a rose grower but I want to add some iris to my garden. I have a couple of beardeds that have bloomed and come back and bloomed over the past two years so I want to give this a more serious look. I understand iris do better with a dormant period. Since I dont have cold weather in the winter I was wondering about perhaps putting the iris on the north side of the house where there is shade for a few months. Now, when I say shade it is all relative. I have a Polish Spirit clematis that is happy as a clam there and blooming its fool head off. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Mari, the crazy miamian

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bullthistle

It should work but why not keep them where they bloomed?

Bookmark   September 7, 2008 at 6:45PM
pandy(10sFL)

Thanks bullthistle,

I want to be able to have them in several spots and I want to make them happier :)

Mari

Bookmark   September 7, 2008 at 9:05PM
blissfulgarden(8b)

Mari,
I too am a crazy Southerner. I have done a good bit of research on strategies to grow bearded iris in the southern regions and compiled all the info on a webpage. Here's the link:

http://eveysblissfulgarden.com

You might find some information there that is useful in your quest. I'm on and off sporadically for the time being because of Gustav aftermath. I'm in Baton Rouge... our power was restored after 10 days without (and no generator either!), but we keep having brownouts as they try to bring more and more people on, so I tend to leave the computer off to avoid surges right now. If you need more info, just send me a message and I'll respond. Ev =)

Bookmark   September 14, 2008 at 4:35AM
Sparaxis(Vic Aust)

Why not grow them on the east side of a moderately shady bed so they don't get a full days sun? I have irises growing in such a situation here in Australia, and they bloom brilliantly. They are backed by Trident Maples, roses, foxgloves, lupins & hollyhocks. They get ample winter sun when the other plants are dormant. Strangely too, I have broken the law re mulching bearded irises, and they don't seem to mind in this situation. They get extremely little water in summer, so don't get moist rhizomes.
Cheers, Jan

Bookmark   September 25, 2008 at 6:24PM
More Discussions
Over wintering bearded Iris plants and Dutch Iris bulbs
I have recently purchased about 14 bearded Iris plants...
keegans31
reblooming irir
Thought I would post a few of my rebloomers. I was...
Nancy zone 6
Seedling
Here is photo of an SDB I have been looking at out...
criris_z8
Do you mulch Iris Bed for winter?
I replanted all my iris after the beard iris borer...
redsun9
Looking for iris Frost and Flame
Hi, I m looking for the iris Frost and Flame by the...
gibsongirl74_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™