Bush Beans Have Runners

jcrowder(7)June 7, 2010

I have bush lima beans planted. I can't remember which variety I bought but they did come from Southern States so I feel pretty confident that they are what the bag said they were and I'm positive I bought bush limas. These things are beautiful and bushy but they have runners about 2 feet long. they are reaching across the path and holding hands! Do i just let them lie there or put something up for them to grab on to? thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anney(Georgia 8)

jcrowder

Some beans described as bush do have short runners. They aren't always tidy! At any rate, I think I'd probably see if I could find something to let them grab hold of if they're reaching across a walkway and will be a nuisance to navigate. If you can find the variety name, that would be helpful to share with us.

Bookmark   June 8, 2010 at 10:34AM
farmerdilla

Bush limas do not have runners. However some varieties like Woods Prolific have long seed stalks That start up, then fall over. a lot of beans set on these stalks and they will meet in a narrow row. They are relative stiff and will make no effort to twine. Any vine that twines will be a pole type.

Bookmark   June 8, 2010 at 12:17PM
anney(Georgia 8)

jcrowder

Listen to farmerdilla! My assumptions were wrong. If they aren't really "holding hands across the aisle", they won't cling to or climb on anything even if you provide it.

Check into the possibility you were mistakenly sent a pole lima if the runners are twining around each other.

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 7:01AM
More Discussions
Perplexed by these peas!
Please help me save these peas! I was gifted germinating...
winorchids
black gandules
Hi, does anyone know where I can find black gandules?...
ily68
Catjang/Brow Bean
I saw an interesting Vigna offered on eBay the other...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
Genetics of Phaseolus lunatus
I really enjoy some of the colorful pole limas, but...
theodosiaunderwood
Margaret Best Greasy Cut Short
These took 66 days to the first picking. I planted...
shuffles_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™