Martagon?

plantcompostJune 13, 2007

We grow quite a few varieties of lilies. One, however, has me baffled.

We grow about a dozen martagons so I am familiar with their appearance. They are currently in bloom. We have another lily that looks much like a martagon.....same bud developmnet, bloom type, time of bloom etc. It is, however about 2/3rds the height but more importantly the leaves are not in the whorl pattern of martagons but the alternate pattern of asiatics. It is the colour of a typical purple martagon.

hmmm? Is this some type of hybrid of a martagon and other species? Or is there a species that has a martagon appearance with alternate leaves?

In our garden we have asiatics, orientals, martagons and native L. philadelphicum. Could a martagon and another lily crossed to produce our specimen?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sierra_z2b

Hi,

Do you have a picture of this lily?

Bookmark   June 14, 2007 at 11:27AM
hld6(z7 MD)

I don't think you naturally get interspecific hybridization. All that I've heard of were created by embryo transfer.

While lots of lilies have a turks cap bloom with alternate leaves, a range of pink colors, and bloom at about the same time as Martagon (i.e., the species L. Lankongense, L. Cernuum, as well as Lankongense hybrids and other asiatic hybrids such as Satin Slippers), I'm assuming you didn't plant any (or you wouldn't be wondering what it was).

A picture, including the whole plant, would make it easier for us to help you. Also additional info. would help. I.e., have you recently planted new lilies that may have had a mislabeled bulb among them and , if so, who were they purchased from?

-Helen

Bookmark   June 14, 2007 at 1:48PM
plantcompost

"I don't think you naturally get interspecific hybridization."

Thanks for this pointer. I also realized after I did the posting that interspecific hybridization was not likely (even if possible) as we only have the Martagons and L. philadelphicum in bloom at the same time. Both have similar leaf patterns and not alternate leaves. The asiatics in our zone are in bloom a couple weeks later.

I did some further research on the web and found info on a group called 'Martagon hybrids' and this is likely what we planted.

Bookmark   June 14, 2007 at 7:19PM
More Discussions
Is this weed some sort of lily?
No idea what this is, except that it is a weed, and...
jacqueline9CA
Best/Favorite Co. to get Lily Bulbs?
I would like to add some tall fragrant oriental, chinese...
aunt_lou
Where to plant six foot lilies?
I didn't realize they would get this tall. Now, I...
sibur50
Wisconsin Illinois Lily Society news
Our winter Lecture Series is beginning this weekend! On...
linnea56
hostaholic2 z 4, MN
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™