help with an indoor planter - no drainage

melissaabJuly 17, 2013

Hi everyone,

We recently bought a house built in the 70's with a really great indoor planter built into the foyer. There are large windows and a skylight above - plenty of light. But the planter is sealed tight with rubber - no drainage possible. It is roughly 2ft deep and 4'x3' in size.

I'm hoping for some advice on how to prepare this drainless planter? Should I put pebbles and sand in the bottom? Any type of soil better than another (someone had advised me to go to a hydroponics store and get soil there)? I'm not much of a gardener as of yet so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Melissa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
slimak

Just a suggestion, someone might have a better one. You could try to find some sort of pan or tray such as this one, as long it's water resistant an sturdy

http://www.newpig.com/pig/US/pig-utility-containment-tray-pak920?cm_cat=shop_by_product

if you can't find out in the dimension of 4x3 than try two 2x3 pans(it would probably be better to get two since you will have 2 feet of heavy soil on top. Drill few drainage holes in the pans and put them upside down on the bottom of the planter. Place or glue on some window screen material on top of them so the soil won't drain inside the pan, just water. This way your soil will have some room for drain water to go instead of keeping it soggy.

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 9:19PM
More Discussions
More beautiful plumeria blossoms under grow lights
More proof that grow lights work! I planted this plumeria...
arctictropical
Lots of seeds - Please help me get started (Zone 6A)
I went a little overboard with a couple of seed orders...
oldbat2be
HELP!..Possible Indoor Pepper growing probz!
I have a few questions regarding my pepper plants at...
Bobby Cooper
Pepper Leaf Problem
I am new to the forum, but have a question about a...
kswart19
Please help. Plant hanging after transplant
Hi. I need urgent help. My small chili mini container...
gustaph
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™