Lots of off types in my peas this year

naturegirl_2007(5B SW Michigan)June 26, 2014

I planted short rows of 6 varieties of snap, snow, and shelling peas this year. Three of the 6 are producing some pods that are not true to type. That seems excessive. The varieties are from various vendors. A snow pea with long pods has some filling out like shelling peas and those pods are tough and fibrous. A snap pea has some pods that look more like overgrown snow peas and they are sweet and tender much like the "normal" snap pods. Another snap pea has some pods that are fibrous and when bent show the membrane that shelling peas contain. Yet all the pods of this variety look very much alike.

It is not that I have mixed various types in a row by mistake because the oddities are not like another variety. Plus I don't see how I would mess up that bad. I figure peas are unlikely to cross pollinate and even if they did it wouldn't show up until saved seed was grown out.

Any ideas why this year is giving me so many off types. I'm considering ordering from Johnnys next year since I have seen info about them working hard to remove off types from their breeding stock. I'm sick of biting into what I expect to be a tender pea and ending up with a mouthful of tough pod fibers.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanzone5(z5NY)

I have the same thing this year, and most ARE from Johnny's, altho I love their seeds. After a while you can tell the difference between the pods. I also have 6 different kinds, like you. I highly recommend Penelope shell pea from Johnny's...so prolific and sweet!

Bookmark   June 28, 2014 at 4:14PM
More Discussions
if you don't like getting emails every time someone replies...
Click on "Your Houzz", Edit Profile, Advanced...
fusion_power
2015 Growing season
I've just been going through my stash making a list...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
How is the harvest going?
Just wondering how everyone's harvest results have...
deanriowa
Bush hyacinth bean
One of the joys of garden forums is being able to trade...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
Marvel of Venice
I'd like to try a couple of plants of the yellow pole...
barbge
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™