Bean Poles

doravecJune 12, 2013

Hey everybody, this is my second year gardening and I'm almost certain that this year I am going to be eating everything that I will grow. Most of last year's crops were landing on the garden bed and ended up in my compost pile, which I'm not entirely upset about since they are passing on their nutrients to this year...

This last weekend I put up a pole bean trellis. Take a look and let me know what you think! Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

should work. IMO. you could make it with just two poles instead of four. beans just need something to cling on and climb up.

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 4:34AM
highwaygardener(5)

Beans aren't picky...they'll just climb!

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 4:29PM
catherinet(5 IN)

If a bunch of them grow up the trellis, I fear it might pull it down. Are your sticks in the ground much? You're probably protected from the wind pretty well there with your privacy fence, right?

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 4:47PM
gjcore(zone 5 Aurora Co)

A problem I've has with wide trellis systems is missing out on harvesting some beans. So if you can't see them and they don't get picked then production slows down if not stops altogether.

Your system will work just fine just make sure you don't miss out harvesting beans that have a way of hiding especially near the ground.

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 7:45PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

The trellis looks OK in design and might be fine as you only appear to have 3 beans growing. But it depends on your weather and the number of plants. In my garden that would blow over pretty soon once loaded with lush wet bean vines. I use 7 - 8 foot bamboos or hazel poles at least 8 inches in the ground. Each plant gets its own pole. Even then the trellis is leaning pretty drunkenly by October. But I am growing scarlet runners, not Phaseolus vulgaris. Using the same number of green poles (6) you could do teepees for more plants which, imo, would be far more stable.

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 6:10AM
doravec

I actually have set up two tripods in this picture. They are set into the ground a good 6-10 inches and tied firmly together at the tops. I was testing it out by "hanging" on the top cross-string with a good amount of force and it seemed to settle well and not give into too much force.

This is my first year using a trellis for beans, and beans in general. We'll see how it works. :)

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 10:34PM
tormato

You may find out you might have to go higher. Several of my pole beans get 12 to 14 foot vines in an average year.

My poles (4 pole teepees) are 11' tall, sunk about 1 foot into the ground, for an overall height of 10 feet. In a good year the beans climb to the top and almost all the way down, ~ 20 feet.

Gary

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 12:53PM
More Discussions
where to find Hilda/Helda romano pole beans?
Two yeas ago health problems interfered with getting...
matthias_lang
Stringless pole bean?
Hello, I would like to find a good pole bean that has...
cowabunga1
seed germinate
Got some blackened pea seed in the bulk section a the...
dons916
Algarve vs Helda vs Smeraldo
This year I am comparing Algarve, Helda and Smeraldo...
shuffles_gw
Catjang/Brow Bean
I saw an interesting Vigna offered on eBay the other...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
Sponsored Products
Kartell | Hanger
$200.00 | YLighting
Acorn Black 86-inch to 120-inch Double Curtain Rod
$79.95 | Bellacor
Cal Lighting BO-117FL Pharmacy Floor Lamp with Adjustable Pole - BO-117FL-BS
$121.00 | Hayneedle
Franklin Sports Fold-N-Go Bag Toss / Tic Tac Toe Combo - 13068/01
$52.98 | Hayneedle
Pistachio Stripe Blackout Back-Tab Pole Pocket Single Panel Curtain, 50 X 108
$46.95 | Bellacor