Newbie with Asiatic and Tiger lilies

sakurako01June 5, 2007

I bought 50 Asiatic and Original tiger lily bulbs from American Meadows, planted them and the Asiatics are up and at 'em! I just noticed that the Asiatics that are farthest along have small pink things lying next to the stem where the leaves join the stems. They aren't attached and shake off easily. I've never grown lilies before so I apologize for asking a really stupid question: are they some sort of infestation or a seed pod?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hld6(z7 MD)

They are leaf axil "bulbils" (vs. "bulblets" found along the underground portion of the stem and at the side of the main bulb). If you let them get ripe and then plant them, they will produce more lilies. Search the site for that phrase and you should get a lot of "hits".

-Helen

Bookmark   June 6, 2007 at 11:03AM
greenguy1(z7 Maryland)

I collected a handful of bulbils (with the owner's permission, of course) from a stand of orange tiger lilies (L. latifolium type) that I passed on the street one day a few years ago. Planted them and this year it looks like I will have my first flowering size plants. But, they have been making more bulbils all along, and now I find little lily plants growing everywhere (filled with more bulbils) in the yard - I think the squirrels must move the bulbils around, plus wind and rain and whatever. Cats and rabbits have nothing on bulbil-producing lilies.....

- Steve

Bookmark   June 6, 2007 at 12:52PM
sakurako01

Thanks so much! Of course the first thing I found when I looked for problems on this forum was evil red beetles so I panicked. I had no idea the lilies would make bulbils before they made flowers. I'm looking forward to lots more lilies eventually.

Bookmark   June 6, 2007 at 11:15PM
More Discussions
new growth on oriental lily
I received an oriental lily for my anniversary in december....
angelaivy
Wisconsin Illinois Lily Society news
Our winter Lecture Series is beginning this weekend! On...
linnea56
What the heck happened to my hybrid lilies
I brought this pot of lilies at home depot and it was...
tlbean2004
Pardalinum...looking for seeds
You didn't leave a way to email you re the martagon...
mxracer264
Head start with Oriental lily
Due to the long 100 day waiting period, I would like...
dan1018
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™