How tall will stargazer be?

socksJune 7, 2007

My stargazer bulbs have not arrived yet, but I'm planning where to plant them.

How tall will stargazer be?

I hope they come with directions...but in case not, how far apart can the bulbs be planted? I know the depth should be 8-10".

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duluthinbloomz4

Stargazers are beautiful lilies. Usual planting depth is 6" (pointy tip of bulb 6" below surface) and 9-12" apart, or just slightly closer if you want a massed look. Soil should drain well and be in a sunny to dappled or partly shaded location. Here in zone 4, they'll take a full sun location since our conditions are no doubt less intense than in the higher zones.

Stargazers do multiply for me - not as fast as the Asiatics do though, but I'll eventually have to dig and separate them.

Bookmark   June 8, 2007 at 12:19AM
duluthinbloomz4

Stargazers will get 36" - 48" tall. So far I haven't had to stake them, stems are quite sturdy.

Bookmark   June 8, 2007 at 12:24AM
socks

36-48! Wow, I'm glad I asked because that's taller than I thought. Is there an up or down to the bulbs? Or they figure it out no however they go in?

Thanks for your replies.

Bookmark   June 8, 2007 at 3:24PM
duluthinbloomz4

When you get and look at your bulbs, it'll be obvious which end is the top - Google the images for lily bulbs and you'll get an idea of what to expect. Once they finish blooming and you're left with stalks, it's nice to have something planted in front of them. In one place, I've got them scattered with ferns, another place with balloon flowers, daylilies and tall garden phlox and some with nepeta, Veronica, and some sedum.

Bookmark   June 8, 2007 at 3:46PM
More Discussions
got my first peace lilly...
On the sale rack at a big box store. Ive looked around...
jameya
hostaholic2 z 4, MN
Best/Favorite Co. to get Lily Bulbs?
I would like to add some tall fragrant oriental, chinese...
aunt_lou
Storing my newly purchased lily bulbs
I just purchased many lily bulbs, mostly oriental....
grammabarb
I'm sensitive to lily smell- has anyone heard of this before?
I don't mean to judge or critisize anyone for their...
hjihji
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™