homeharvest.com - For those who are shopping...

organic_farmer_bob(8)July 28, 2007

I thought I would share this piece of information with you all. As part of my shopping around for some supplementary light I discovered this site. They stated this on there site...

"At 125 watts, the electricity needed for Hydrofarm Compact Fluorescent Plant Grow Lights is roughly the same as a standard incandescent reading lamp. "

Now I wondered if they had some sort of power saving ballast or...something, though I found this to be a strange claim since HD seems to stock reading lamps that are rate to 60 or 75 watts MAX and frankly the idea that someone would sit on a sofa with a 150w incandescent bulb 3-5" from there shoulder seemed...ify. When I asked for clarification on this, this was the response I received...

"Thank you for your email. In an informal poll conducted amongst our employees, we found that most of us use either a 100 or 150 watt incandescent bulb for reading purposes, hence our middle of the road description."

I personally think that clarifying their reading habits was a little flippant. Extremely uninformative and well I think you get the jist.

Anyway I figure for those who are shopping around this gives you an idea of the customer service, or lack there of, you can expect from this company...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nygardener(z6 New York)

I've had good experiences with them, though they sometimes need to be prodded to ship promptly. Home Harvest was originally a Maryland company and were bought out a couple of years ago by a shipper in the Midwest. I'm sorry they didn't take your question seriously, but wouldn't necessarily write them off.

Bookmark   August 3, 2007 at 11:03AM
joclyn(6b)

i don't find their response or the reference to the informal poll about reading light flippant at all. they were just providing the baseline info used to make the statement.

Bookmark   August 18, 2007 at 6:26PM
watergal(z6/7 Westminster, MD)

I was saddened when they moved away from Maryland - I had enjoyed visiting their showroom.

I like a good bright reading lamp - usually 150 watts as close to my shoulder as practical. Have been known to use a 50-200-250 watt three way bulb for reading and liked it just fine.

Bookmark   September 20, 2007 at 10:51PM
paplantgrower(Zone 6)

just as no two plants are the same, neither are people... i too use a 150 light bulb for reading purposes, although i admit i don't keep it 3 to 5 inches from my shoulder. i didn't find the response flippant, and in fact agree with the previous poster that at least they attempted to provide a comparison. and as for their lack of customer service, at least they replied to your email... I have had many more requests for information go unanswered by garden companies than have been answered. what homeharvest does have is a selection of gardening products unmatched by few.

Bookmark   September 26, 2007 at 3:03PM
More Discussions
Seed Starting Lights at night?
In my area (Nova Scotia) I have time of day metering...
youngdb
Need help with my Petunia and Coleus Seedlings
I am trying to grow as many petunia and coleus seeds...
Cathy Cokley
1000 watts surrounded by 320 plants! Shoe organizers are back!
Some of you may remember my shoe organizer grows. Im...
MisterK
bulb question
I put a 75 W Philips Bulb - 120 volt- (Agro-Lite BR30)...
ellenr22
Seeking advice about current indoor seed starting setup
Hello, I am new to gardening and would like to start...
dotagardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™