Landini lily short-lived?

raee_gwJune 13, 2011

Hi,

I planted a Landini lily (which I was absolutely in love with) and a MonteNegro lily at the same time, 3 or 4 years ago. Both are asiatics, I believe, and both were (are) in a raised bed mulched with chopped leaves in the fall.

Well the Montenegro is still growing strong, and has reproduced -- but this year there is absolutely no sign of the Landini. It was even in the best-draining area of the bed. I am in mourning, and wondering what happened to it. Are Landini lilies known to be short lived? Are they super particular about anything -- but it sure seemed to be happy the first couple of years, including last. I have had a hard time growing asiatics in other parts of the yard, though. Orienpets thrive however.

I haven't dug down into the bed, not wanting to disturb other plants that I have there. Although, come to think of it, there are one or two other things in that section that should be up by now but are MIA. ???

Raee

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
interspecific(5)

I planted several sets of these in groups of three and and five. They are 4 yrs and 3yrs old. Only problem I had was color fade with two groups that got too much hot sun at bloom time. They seem very hardy--here anyway.

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 10:56PM
kprp(6)

Agreed, Landini is short lived and Monte Negro goes on forever. I think my current Landini is about 3 years old, but it seems to be struggling.

Try Dimension--it's fabulously black but won't even last one year! :(

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 1:24AM
alina_1

Landini did not return for me either (two attempts).
Annual here!!!

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 10:45AM
vweaver

Last year I planted 5 Landini Bulbs, all came up with one stem. 2nd year- it's May, and it looks like I'll have close to 20. Looks like at the very least standard growth for Asiatics in my garden.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 2:56PM
More Discussions
Red Lily Leaf Beetle Sited
11:15 am in Malden, Ma ( just outside Boston) Came...
MichaelB_MAz6
Are my Calla Lilies sprouting too soon?
I live in British Columbia, we are still having very...
bcroselover
Is this a Lily, or what is it?
I planted this as a bulb over 5 years ago, basically...
jacqueline9CA
id for pink crinum
I am looking for the botanical name for the pink crinum...
linda_leaf z10fla
got my first peace lilly...
On the sale rack at a big box store. Ive looked around...
jameya
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™