I need advice Quick!!!

beigestonehill(z 6 /7VA)June 10, 2007

I have about 150 lilies in my gardens, plus one in my house ( my daughter). In the past week or so I have noticed that over a third of my lilies looked like they were dying. Many started to topple over. They have some sort of borer in them. I have cut off and discarded all the infected lilies but each day I find more dying a slow death. What is this pest and what can I do about it? Will the lilies I have lost this year come back next year? How can I prevent this from happening again. I bought some new bulbs last fall could this nasty pest come in with the bulbs?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hld6(z7 MD)

HOW did they "look like they were dying?

I'm not aware of any "borer" that attacks lilies (much less our area - I'm in MD), but I know with this humid weather we are having that some of my lilies started showing the effects of Botrytis (a fungus).

Are the leaves of your lilies shriveling and turning brown from the bottom up? If so, it is Botrytis.

If not, you need to describe the symptoms some more. I'm sure the forum would like to help.

-Helen

Here is a link that might be useful: Botrytis link

Bookmark   June 10, 2007 at 10:17PM
Nancy zone 6

I may be having the same problem, I haven't yet dug in to inspect what is going on. A few weeks ago I saw that my Casa Blancas I planted this spring that had sprouted & were about 1' tall. They were toppling & dying from the ground up. This happened quickly, within a few days. I thought perhaps I got the weed killer too close, but didn't really think I did.
Last week the same happend to some pink pixies that just came into bloom. Really almost more like a cutworm because they are toppling from the ground up, the leaves are mostly green. Do cutworms do this? Or could it be mice. I don't see any insects on the stem or flower itself. REally doesn't look like botrytis to me.

Bookmark   June 11, 2007 at 12:22PM
beigestonehill(z 6 /7VA)

I have found a worm in every lily that has died.I know New England is having problems with borers. I was hoping someone may know what to do before I lose more lilies.

Bookmark   June 12, 2007 at 8:00AM
More Discussions
Foxtail lily; companions?
Hello! I want to plant foxtail lilies. I know they...
mushibu10
Toad Lily
In five years, this is the first flower my toad lily...
TNY78
Help my Peace Lily? I think it might be dead....
It looks like this. Pretty unpromising. I think I watered...
cactussalad
Wisconsin Illinois Lily Society news
Our winter Lecture Series is beginning this weekend! On...
linnea56
I'm sensitive to lily smell- has anyone heard of this before?
I don't mean to judge or critisize anyone for their...
hjihji
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™