Dividing Japanese Iris

brittanimvSeptember 13, 2009

Hi! I am very much a newbie to gardening. I planted 9 japanese iris in the spring of 2008. Some of them have foliage that has grown very tall while others are still smaller. How do I know when it's time to divide them? And what time of year is best to do this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

More info than you probably want

Straight from The American Iris Society (www.irises.org/)

Culture of the beardless irises differs somewhat from culture of the bearded irises. They should be transplanted in the fall or in early spring. The roots should never be allowed to dry out while they are out of the ground and they should be watered heavily after transplanting. They should be set slightly deeper than the tall bearded. Japanese iris should be planted in a distinct "depression" in heavy soil to assist in supplying moisture to the plant. Siberians and the Pacific Coast Natives can tolerate light shade but the Spurias, Japanese and Louisianas demand full sun. Louisianas and Japanese require moist conditions during the summer months while the Pacific Coast Natives enjoy a very low humidity and dry soil no matter how hot it may get. All, except Louisianas, should be planted in a permanent spot where they can remain for many years as they resent being disturbed. Louisianas tend to "creep" and therefore, should be tended to every few years. All are heavy feeders and need to be fertilized regularly.

Bookmark   September 13, 2009 at 7:41PM
More Discussions
Bottle Rocket
Pretty Tall Bearded from last years bloom, Crossed...
criris_z8
Consequences of transplanting in winter/early spring, zone 5
Hello, I have a question about transplanting irises....
kmburton
Iris douglasiana
I'm looking for sources for this iris that will ship....
herbal
Seedling
Here is photo of an SDB I have been looking at out...
criris_z8
Moving iris
I have a large bed of Iris that I inherited. I have...
Beth1234
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™