Help! newbie with indoor plant need lighting advice

msugrl2010July 25, 2012

Hello all,

I am purchasing an one-year-old orcoblanco tree and soon Fall will be here, and in Southeast Michigan that usually means cool temperatures and little to no sun. I am a college student and don't have a lot of money, and I am not very creative when it comes to making a light hanging fixture XD lol.

Can anyone give me advice on what type of CHEAP lighting I can purchase that will keep my dwarf tree alive and well in the fall AND thru winter?

Thanks for anyone's help! :)

Msugrl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eahamel(9a)

Cheap lighting would be shop lights from Home Depot or Lowe's. 48". They're easy to hang. As for keeping a dwarf tree alive, that's debatable. Do you mean Oroblanco? If so, it will need full sun and a lot of heat in order to thrive. And you'll never get fruit unless you can give it several months of direct sun and heat every year. They are delicious, and I wished you lived in an area where they grow. I live in a climate where citrus thrives, and have never seen them grown indoors under lights, and wish you good luck. Did you buy it locally, or mail order?

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 9:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msugrl2010

Thanks for the response!

I actually got the lighting figured out for my tree. It's actually not too difficult to grow dwarf citrus in pots, come on over to the citrus forum and see the pictures ;).

I got my tree from four winds nusery, they specialize in selling dwarf citrus trees. I just got a dwarf grapefruit tree, it's wonderful looking.

here's the site. www.fourwindsgrowers.com/

msugrl

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 9:30AM
More Discussions
germinating and lighting
I am about to start some hot pepper seeds I ordered...
mikwya
Greens stunted, please help
Hello, I've been trying to grow salad greens with a...
kate104
Pepper Leaf Problem
I am new to the forum, but have a question about a...
kswart19
T5 vs T8 and equivalent
Obviously T5s are the better choice for indoor growing,...
gardev
Seeking advice about current indoor seed starting setup
Hello, I am new to gardening and would like to start...
dotagardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™