Fluorescent lights for plant shelves - help, please!

tcleigh(6)July 25, 2013

Hello, everyone,

I am planning on assembling my first plant shelves to overwinter plants and start seedlings. I don't have the money or the room for any kind of fancy set up. My initial plan was to just buy a metal shelving unit and several T12 fixtures to go under each of my shelves. My understanding was that as long as I buy a "cool" and "warm" tube for each fixture, the plants should do fine. However, reading through related posts on this forum, it seems like some people don't consider T12s adequate.

If my purpose is solely overwintering plants and starting seedlings, is there any reason that T12s are a mistake? If so, could you suggest some cheap alternatives?

Also, is overdriving safe/easy? We have really old wiring in our house and it makes me nervous.

Thanks for any advice you can give...I'm trying to keep it as simple and cheap as possible.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
project_gardener(5)

I'd go with the cheap T8 fixtures from Walmart and overdrive them. It's easy to do. I made a tutorial on it with step by step instructions.

How to overdrive a T8 fixture

They are a little warm but no concern about fire. I've been running the same one for 3 years. Completely safe.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to overdrive a T8 fixture

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 9:05AM
More Discussions
what do you use under heat mats
I have some large heat mats that I use under lights....
dowlinggram
ebay LED growlight fixture for houseplants?
I was on ebay saw all the good deals on the awesome...
jay83
grow spot light
If i use a really low beam angle led grow light can...
surixurient
6" Inch Titan Inline Fan 440 CFM Industrial Grade
The 6" Inch Titan Inline Fan 440 CFM Industrial...
Dane Theisen
Pepper Leaf Problem
I am new to the forum, but have a question about a...
kswart19
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™