Central Virginia - too late for pole beans - see text

dancinglemons(7B VA)July 19, 2009

Hello all,

I am in Central Virginia. We usually have our first frost in early November. I have some Italian Pole beans that I am planting within the next 1-2 days. I have already soaked & presprouted the seeds. Does anyone think I will have a chance to get a fair harvest of beans. The DTM on these beans is 60-70. By my calculations I have 90 days of growing before frost -BUT- will the plants produce in September and October. If you are in zone 7A or 7B give me your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks,

DL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rodger(8SC)

Good question and my answer is yes. I am on the border of 7b/8a. I plant fall beans end of July first week in Aug. There is still plenty of time for Southern peas also so plant some of them too. Make sure you mark your calender for Sat. Sept 12 to attend the fall harvest festival sponsered by Soutern exposure seeds at Jeffersons Montalto. Lots of good speakers and then there is me and I will be speaking on Beans namely southern peas. I will also run the seed swap that morning. Rodger

Bookmark   July 21, 2009 at 10:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dancinglemons(7B VA)

OK I should have read this post before answering the other. I have put Sept 12 on my calendar. Thanks for the info on So. Peas I have some that I did not plant last year and they will go in now.

DL

Bookmark   July 22, 2009 at 1:18AM
More Discussions
2015 Growing season
I've just been going through my stash making a list...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
black gandules
Hi, does anyone know where I can find black gandules?...
ily68
Beans and leafrollers
Several years ago I was growing Rattlesnake pole beans...
madabouteu
The Mayocoba Bean story
Have you heard of the controversy that evidently went...
RuthieG__TX
Anybody know what cultivar????
Sorry about the blurry phone pics... We've been growing...
mav72
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™