Long bean and lima bean volunteers - observations and questions..

dancinglemons(7B VA)July 12, 2013

Hello all,

This season I was greeted with many volunteers from last seasons long beans and lima beans. All pole beans by the way. I usually only get a few volunteers. I left them in place just to see what they would do. The vast majority of them look great and I transplanted 3 of them. I have no idea if the transplants are the long beans or the limas. No flowers yet on the volunteers and the vines do not all look alike. Now for a few questions.

Will these volunteers grow true to type? Are volunteers more susceptible to disease than plants put in from seed? I suspect the volunteers are Orient Wonder long beans and Black Jungle Butter beans - because that is what was planted in this spot last season. They were planted on opposite sides of my cattle panel trellis in a 4 x 4 raised bed.

By the way - all of the transplants are vigorous with multi-branching.

Thanks for any information anyone can offer.

Cheers,
DL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wertach zone 7-B SC

I can't really comment on the Orient Wonder long beans, since I have never even heard of them.

But the BJBB's will be true and I think the Orient Wonder long beans most likely will. I think that almost all bean types are open pollinated, not hybrids.

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 12:18PM
farmerdill

Lima beans do cross, but if you had no other varieties available they should come true. Same is true for Yard Longs.

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 12:35PM
dancinglemons(7B VA)

Thanks wertach & farmerdill .

If this happens again next year I won't need any seeds!! I'm going to watch them to see if disease becomes a problem.

As of today the transplanted volunteers are doing great.

Thanks again.
DL

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 3:36AM
More Discussions
Marvel of Venice
I'd like to try a couple of plants of the yellow pole...
barbge
Purple king beans
Hi I've grown runner beans before and found they do...
chloe456
Anybody know what cultivar????
Sorry about the blurry phone pics... We've been growing...
mav72
Genetics of Phaseolus lunatus
I really enjoy some of the colorful pole limas, but...
theodosiaunderwood
where to find Hilda/Helda romano pole beans?
Two yeas ago health problems interfered with getting...
matthias_lang
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™