please help!!!!

valtorrez(6b)September 14, 2009

I recently was working in yard and happened to notice the rhizome of some iris that were already planted when I purchased my house 1 year ago totally showing from the ground. I don't remember these iris blooming this summer but I noticed this weekend that I am seeing foliage pushing through the ground. Is this not late in the season to be doing this? I placed a thin layer of compost and garden soil over the whole section of iris that I could see their rhizomes. Is that okay?

Also while cleaning up this area and digging around gate, my husband found around 20-30 bulbs that were in good condition. I deciede to plant these bulbs in sunny areas of my yard. I planted behind some old tiger lilies. There was a nice size space between lilies and the gate. Do you think this will be okay?

Lastly my friend asked how was I sure the bulbs were iris and not onion bulbs. Does anyone know the difference between the two?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Rhizomes of bearded iris are planted with the top half exposed. As far as new growth, that is the nature of their growth cycle. A baby rhizome is growing off the mother rhizome. I haven't read the FAQ lately but it has additional information.

I only grow Allium unifolium and the drumstick one (can't remember correct name). They are more rounded than Dutch iris bulbs, smaller, and the covering is more fragile. The Dutch iris bulb is less rounded.

Bookmark   September 15, 2009 at 12:54AM
More Discussions
Question about Bearded Irises
I planted two Jurassic Park bearded irises two years...
GrammaFluff
Louisiana Iris care Houston Texas
Hi! I was wondering if my Louisiana Iris can be cut...
luvpatch2
Transplant and blooming
Hello to you all! I might as well preface this by saying...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Help identifying two irises.
I took these photos in Siena, Italy and I would like...
bill_ri_z6b
Iris douglasiana
I'm looking for sources for this iris that will ship....
herbal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™