Fall Planting Sugar snaps

garliclady(z7 NC)July 5, 2006

When should I plant sugar snaps for fall here in zone 7. We usually have frost(light) in mid to late october but the real cold doesn't set in till December. I have done this once and they did ok but I failed to write down when I planted the peas.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fliptx(Houston 9)

I plan on planting mine in September, but of course I'm in zone 9! Have you checked the North Carolina cooperative extension website? They have lots of pdfs in the vegetable section that might have the info you're looking for.

Bookmark   July 6, 2006 at 9:30AM
garliclady(z7 NC)

I checked there first but sugar snaps or snow peas are not in their fall crops list- But so are other things that I grow every fall. When you plant in Sept when do you harvest? Maybe that will give me a time frame of when I need to plant.

Bookmark   July 6, 2006 at 11:55AM
fliptx(Houston 9)

I haven't planted in the fall before but I would expect to harvest about 60 days after planting. So some time in November for me. I would count back about 70 days from your first expected light frost. I planted my spring crop in January and they survived a couple of (light) frosts with no problem (I covered them) so I'm not too worried about an unexpected cold front taking them out. :)

Bookmark   July 6, 2006 at 1:51PM
edgman(z7MD East)

garliclady

Down here on the Eastern shore of MD, I start planting mine Sep.15 every year. Three types, Anne, Lace II and regular sugar snap. All three rows are over a foot high and doing well. Just made a second sowing on the 28th and will do sucessive plantings every 10 or 12 days until Dec. Had a crop all last winter until about mid January. Make sure you soak them first and use a good soil innoculant. Got close to a 100 per cent germination this year. Plant fall lettuces and other crops in between rows. Gave up on garlic though.

edgman/Tom R

Bookmark   October 4, 2008 at 10:37PM
More Discussions
Strange Pea problem - predator or what?
Hi. Last year, for the first time, my healthy green...
blueskink
Margaret Best Greasy Cut Short
These took 66 days to the first picking. I planted...
shuffles_gw
Italian Rose bush beans.
I have some italian rose beans. Can they be grown in...
Desirai
Beans and leafrollers
Several years ago I was growing Rattlesnake pole beans...
madabouteu
Anybody know what cultivar????
Sorry about the blurry phone pics... We've been growing...
mav72
Sponsored Products
Jewelry Closet
$24.99 | Dot & Bo
Dawson the Dog Beanbag Animal
$29.99 | zulily
Planter Saucer Caddy - 14" dia., holds up to 250 lbs.
Grandin Road
5. New Construction IC Airtight Housing 6-Pac
PLFixtures
Lithonia Lighting Ceiling Mounted Lighting 1-Light 4 ft. High Output White T5
$37.97 | Home Depot
Ultra Thin LED Light Box 48"x72" , Silver Frame, Daylight White
EnvironmentalLights.com
Mitchell Leather Loveseat - Brighton Volcano Brown
Joybird Furniture
Grillware Fish Griller
$49.95 | FRONTGATE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™