Long's Iris Nursery in Colorado

bellarosa(z5/IL)September 25, 2005

Has anyone ever ordered from this nursery? Are they still in business? I'm new to irises and saw some that they carry.

Thanks.

Evelyn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windwhipped(Z4 WY)

I have heard good things about them, but never ordered. You might want to post your question on the Rocky Mountain forum - lots of people from Colorado there.

Bookmark   September 29, 2005 at 11:07PM
Grandpa7(Georgia)

I have a sentimental feeling about Long's Gardens. I ordered my first iris from them when I was still in grammar school. Somehow, I got hold of a couple or dollars and ordered three. Two were LUCRETIA BORI and CHERRIO. I can't remember the other one.
I would dearly love to have these iris growing in my garden again. Does anyone know where they could be obtained?
To find out of they are still in business, which there wer a year or so ago, just enter Long's Gardens into your search engine.
Vernon Johnson
Mesena,Ga.

Bookmark   October 15, 2005 at 10:36PM
thurston(midTN)

This is their website: http://www.longsgardens.com/homepage.html

but their catalog page hasn't been updated since 2001. Not a good sign.

Neil

Bookmark   October 18, 2005 at 9:12PM
phantomfyre(z5, N. IL)

They have an ad in the October 2005 AIS Bulletin, but do not have their website listed in the ad. Perhaps they are having difficulties maintaining/updating the website. There is an email address: iris-info(at)longsgardens(dot)com (Replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .)

Hope this helps,
Diana

Bookmark   October 22, 2005 at 1:08PM
lilgreenfrog

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to mention that they are very much still in business; I just got my iris from them this year. They're not as big as they used to be, and the website isn't updated/has no photos. However, they certainly have a catalogue you can send for, and I believe they're still creating new cultivars (I got one called More Reign, a SDB that is a lovely dark purple/burgandy that I think is new this year).
They are really neat people; I hadn't been in years, but when they saw my last name they immediately asked about my mother - she has probably 200 different varieties of their iris, but hasn't been there in several years.
Anyway, do give them your business if they have something you'd like...their plants are always large and healthy.

Best, Lara

Bookmark   July 14, 2007 at 1:44AM
berrytea4me(Z5 CO)

I haven't taken a drive down there in a couple years but they have a really nice garden to visit in person too. As Lara said, really nice folks.

I didn't know they ever had a website. In 2005 they only had a black & white catalog that was a list w/o photos. Seemed a little behind on the technology thing. They may have a cd catalog by now. Other small iris farms in CO have developed that method of sharing photos if the technology is too much for them to do.

Bookmark   August 27, 2008 at 12:37AM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

I was able to reach their page with Neil's link less the ending.

A note said 2008 ordering was over and the Iris > didn't connect to a listing --- disabled?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.longsgardens.com/

Bookmark   August 29, 2008 at 3:05AM
blissfulgarden(8b)

I was able to get to the catalog to see what they offered. You have to click on "Irises" and then expand out the directory to the next level to select between "Dig It Yourself" and "Catalog". Here's a direct link to the catalog:

http://www.longsgardens.com/gallery.php

Ev =)

Bookmark   August 29, 2008 at 10:16AM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Thanks Blissful ~~ think having Java Script disabled caused me not to get the menu.

Now I can't figure out how to see the 2nd page of thumbnails of the TBs!

Very true colors!

Bookmark   August 29, 2008 at 7:37PM
blissfulgarden(8b)

I just clicked on the photo numbers at the bottom of the page to advance. That doesn't work for you? Ev =)

Bookmark   August 29, 2008 at 8:13PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

No numbers --- will try another computer. Thank you. Nice Job on your website!

Bookmark   August 30, 2008 at 4:55PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Another computer worked. What great pics and lots I've not seen from Magee, Miller, Durrance and others. Thanks again Blissful.

Bookmark   August 30, 2008 at 5:56PM
carlos42180(Z5 Chicago)

I have to say that I was very impressed with this company so far. I ordered from them for the first time this year. I only ordered SDBs and one IB. When I got my order, all the rhizomes where attached to the old mother and the increases were the size of golf balls -- on SDBs I mind you. They could have easily separated that into individual rhizomes, but they didn't. So I really received four for the price of one. If I have room next year, I'll definitely be placing another order.

Carlos

Bookmark   August 31, 2008 at 5:29PM
carlos42180(Z5 Chicago)

I have to say that I was very impressed with this company so far. I ordered from them for the first time this year. I only ordered SDBs and one IB. When I got my order, all the rhizomes where attached to the old mother and the increases were the size of golf balls -- on SDBs I mind you. They could have easily separated that into individual rhizomes, but they didn't. So I really received four for the price of one. If I have room next year, I'll definitely be placing another order.

Carlos

Bookmark   August 31, 2008 at 5:30PM
More Discussions
LA Irises
Started with 4 Iris Bulbs about 4 yrs. ago - noticed...
George Indel
Looking for iris Frost and Flame
Hi, I m looking for the iris Frost and Flame by the...
gibsongirl74_gw
Purchased potted irises at local flower
but it's still cold outside in our Zone 5 area. In...
bellarosa
1st Dutch iris open (bulb)
I love bearded iris. But I'm also a sucker for bulb...
irisgal_z9
Consequences of transplanting in winter/early spring, zone 5
Hello, I have a question about transplanting irises....
kmburton
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™