Lily Garden-Need site recommendations
Well, I guess I'm in the lily forum for my seeming once-a-year post.
Over the last 6 years or so, I've accumulated a dozen or two varieties of lilies.... asiatics, trumpet, tiger, orientals, hybrids. Varying sizes from Pixie and Tiny series all the way to Casablanca (and I think another one that's even taller).
I currently have them in an area that used to get a great deal more sun, but with maturing trees, it gets less than before... but still enough that most of the lilies look like they're starting to set buds.
But as you can see, this garden is in major need of an overhaul.... it's become infested with grasses and other migrating weeds, courtesy of my rear neighbor. And it's overall design is certainly not what I planned... with the failure of some of the plant choices.... including the less-than-spectacular-performance from the 3 river birch at the back. So, I've started the arduous task of uprooting the daylilies.... and trying to figure how what to do about the other perennials, including the lilies.
My problem is that I don't really have any space to temporarily holdover most of these plants. I recently started a small garden (total about 3x20) along the south side of my garage. It gets sun ALL DAY, plus reflected light and heat off of my white siding. Couple that with only light supplemental watering. And it's small.....It might be enough for the lilies (at least the single stem ones)... but probably not my big clumps of 'Cancun'.
I considered moving my lilies to this new location, but I thought I recalled reading that lilies will grow fine in all-day sun, but their colors will fade without some respite from the sun. Is this true?
Ok, so let's say I decide to move some/all of my lilies to this new spot.... Would they hate me if I did it now? I often have good intentions of trying to work with them after foliage has faded, but I do know myself well enough to know that I won't do it then. Will they still bloom for me if I move them now? Are the stalks too fragile to handle a move? Will the root systems be shocked too badly to move now?
So many questions here, but I'd like to know your thoughts!