Anyone know what lily this is?

xray328June 21, 2007

Hi all. Noob here. We planted this a few years ago, and it keeps coming back. The rest of the lilies we planted got eaten by the bunnies. This one has a really thick stalk, and grows to about five feet. We'd like to get more of this height, maybe in different colors? Anyone know what lily this is? Do they usually get this tall? Again, what other lilies will match the performance of this? Thanks!

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb84/xray328/?action=view&current=P1010001.jpg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilydude

Your link doesn't work.

Bookmark   June 22, 2007 at 12:31AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hld6(z7 MD)

Hi xray,

Your link worked for me.

It looks like an LA (Longiflorum - Asiatic) of some sort. Most of them will have the same characteristics as your plant, thick stems and up to 5 feet tall, (though "pixie lilies" are quite short). Orientals and Longiflorum-Orientals also generally have strong stems (especially once established). The arrangement of the flowers on the stem is different than in LA's and the LO bloom has a more trumpet shape. The LO's may be shorter but some range up to 5'. Orientals are normally 4'-5' tall and bloom later than now (mid July - August).

However, no lily is "bunny proof" (sorry!) though it looks like this one of yours got lucky.

Hope this helps.

-Helen

Bookmark   June 23, 2007 at 12:29AM
More Discussions
Need help with Lilies of the Valley
Hello, I purchased a package of lilies of the valley...
Deb Capecci
id for pink crinum
I am looking for the botanical name for the pink crinum...
linda_leaf z10fla
I'm sensitive to lily smell- has anyone heard of this before?
I don't mean to judge or critisize anyone for their...
hjihji
Oriental Lilies in Pots...Where to Overwinter in zone 4?
Hi all, I don't have room to plant lilies in my garden...
haydenrose
Take that voles/mice !
My lilies were looking beautiful & increasing for...
pandora
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™