oriental or asiatics lilies in planters

jeannejeanie(7 long island)June 3, 2007

i've ran out of room for any more in lilies in my flower beds but i can put 2 huge planters on my stoop. question has any one tried oriental or asiatics lilies in planters? i am slowly becoming a lily addict & need more planting space. do they need extra water in the planters? since the lilies could possibly be baked in the pots? i figure i can put some asiatics, orientals & an easter lily in each pot & they can bloom at different times. so what do you think ? can this be done? should i do it now or wait til fall? thanks for your thoughts

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hld6(z7 MD)

Lilies grow in pots well. I haven't found baking to be much of a problem (and I'm in Maryland). While I don't let my pots get real dry for long you have to be careful not to soak them constantly since lilies are susceptible to rot. The bigger problem is overwintering them - since they aren't as insulated from wide temp. swings as when they are in the ground.

Instead of putting different types of lilies in one pot, I'd use 3 pots arranged together and rotate the in bloom pot to the front. Depending on your arrangement the others should still get enough sun to feed the bulb. I'd worry that planted together I wouldn't have the flexibility I'd need since lilies grow to very different heights.
-Helen

Bookmark   June 4, 2007 at 5:19PM
More Discussions
hostaholic2 z 4, MN
strange baby foliage
Rosidah
Head start with Oriental lily
Due to the long 100 day waiting period, I would like...
dan1018
What flòwer is this?
I think that this flower is some kind of lily?
kgibbs25
Did I kill my lily bulbs?
This fall my husband had to dig up our lily bulbs to...
grandma_gardener_02
Sponsored Products
Hanging Around Planters - Set of 3
| Dot & Bo
Red Carpet Studios Birdhouse Outdoor Faces Multicolor - 41052
$23.45 | Hayneedle
Campania International Aurielle Cast Stone Planter - P-627-AL
$49.99 | Hayneedle
Red Carpet Studios Solar Chimes - 10861
$27.35 | Hayneedle
Sedan Bumper Planter
$15.99 | Dot & Bo